• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black hab vs. chocolate hab

I was wondering about differences in a black hab and chocolate hab. Are they the same. Ive been told they are but ive seen plants that produce pitch black pods. Is this just a variation from plant to plant or a different variety? Thanks for any help

Good question. I have tried mili habanero powder and chocolate hab powder side by side, and there is a difference between these 2(mili is a type black i believe). There is a lot supposition on whether, congos are habaneros...are any of the browns and blacks TRUE HABS? Potawie or cmpman1974 would be good sources if you don't get an answer here.....so many variations among all the types(meaning variations in pod shape in the SAME types) it would be hard to say with 100% certainty!

It all depends on your seed source. Non are really habs but people like to call brown Chinenses: brown habs, black habs, or chocolate habs even when there is no hab shape, flavor, or proper origin. I grew out a lot of different black/brown/choc "habs" and most were very similar if not the same. My guess is that they(at least most) originated in the Caribbean and have fairly recently become popular worldwide because of the internet. The problem is that it is now getting harder and harder to find authentic landrace varieties and we rely more on more on hobbiest to keep strains pure and labelled correctly which usually does not work out well these days.

Maybe we should pay a fee for this site, and a nominated grower could do this full- time and protect the varieties. Fees would cover seed purchases, if not donated, and the elected chief grower can nominate growers based on reputation and experience.Could be a vote!

Ahh so now im starting to get it. Thanks for the information guys. if anyone else has anything to add, im all ears. Still have a lot to learn

Back