• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black hot pepper varieties - need recs

I have a specific style of homemade hot sauce in mind that I'd like to make next year; in short, it's quite hot and quite black. I'd love to hear your recommendations for peppers that might qualify. Since I want it hot, pitch black, and to actually taste like peppers, I'm imagining this will be a blend of at least 2-3 different types of pepper. A superhot to start, to bring the heat. And another 1 or 2 types to bring some additional pepper flavor and some more black color. In case it isn't clear, I really want this to be as dark as possible; so I'm not looking for chocolate-colored or purple peppers. Thanks in advance for your help!

Goatsweed

It's also the hottest annuum pepper i know of.
Here's a pic i poached off the web

Black-Cobra-Pepper-1.jpg

mark.thomas.jr said:
I have a specific style of homemade hot sauce in mind that I'd like to make next year; in short, it's quite hot and quite black. I'd love to hear your recommendations for peppers that might qualify. Since I want it hot, pitch black, and to actually taste like peppers, I'm imagining this will be a blend of at least 2-3 different types of pepper. A superhot to start, to bring the heat. And another 1 or 2 types to bring some additional pepper flavor and some more black color. In case it isn't clear, I really want this to be as dark as possible; so I'm not looking for chocolate-colored or purple peppers. Thanks in advance for your help!

hogleg said:
Goatsweed

It's also the hottest annuum pepper i know of.
It's black before ripening to red, but this site reports:
They are usually harvested when green and black and cooked with.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

It's black before ripening to red, but this site reports:
They are usually harvested when green and black and cooked with.
Goats weed can also be found as "black cobra".  Even when the pods are black the inside is greenish, so the resultant sauce isn't completely black.  I know this because I tried to make a black hotsauce with it this past summer.  The goatsweed pepper is kind of bitter and has a spiky front end (tip of the tongue & lips) type heat so it needs to be balanced with other types of peppers.  I used dried ancho and dried yaki blue along with some fresh smoked poblanos from my garden.  The sauce was indeed dark enough but not quite black and was habanero level heat.  It got good enough reviews that I decided to overwinter the plant.  Best of luck.  :)

I can't tell about their taste yet but the Black Bastard peppers from Towns-End Chili seems to get really dark, almost pitch black

Back