• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Black hot sauce

Been tossing around this idea but finding ingredients to keep it as dark as possible without roasting anything. Although some charred onion sounds great.

This led me to think of what pepper would yield the closest color. Well i grow aji panca and the paste you can buy is really dark brown. Its not all that spicy but the flavor rocks. I might just have a small surplus of NICE pods soon too.

Black Garlic, now this stuff is black as coal and the flavor is great....Got a pound coming soon of top shelf 120day aged and some 90day ive been sampling that is really good too.

Molasses for sweetness and color. Other thought is Jamaican burnt sugar. Im leaning towards the molasses or molasses with a little maple syrup.

Black Vinegar. Ive got a great 5yr Chinese black vinegar i can get locally. Its not a rice vinegar though. Maybe a little of it and some red cane to balance it out a little.

Not going too intense with the spices but im thinking of some thyme sounds good.

Heat wont be real high. A couple big brown bhuts and round it out with a Reaper or two. Thats for 2-3 woozies worth of sauce.

Just enough alder wood smoked salt so you get a slight smokey hint.

Its rainy atm and nearly impossible for my old cam to get an accurate color but.....It sure is tasty
U889zJC.jpg

RetSOy4.jpg

Back