• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black light vs fluorescent?

I plan on starting my peppers indoors over the winter. Which would be better, black light or a fluorescent?

Yeah sorry. I realize now that I asked a dumb question. Someone had told me blacklights were used for growing and I wrongfully assumed they were right. Anyways, I did some searching around and realized the absurdity of my question lol.

That being said, would it be dumb for me to start planting some seeds inside my house now so the plants can get a head start on growing? Summers here in Texas are brutal and I'd like to reap a harvest before the heat gets to be too much...

Again, sorry about the dumb the post!

Black light...lol :lol:

I germinate all my peppers indoors, just get some CFL bulbs (or MH, HPS, regular flurescent) and you're off! :)

Basically you can use almost anything but regular incandescent bulbs (or black lights :)), it just depends how appropriate the light spectrum is going to be for vegetative growth vs. flowering and how effective the light is going to be penetrating the canopy (not really an issue if you just need them for germination). The general rule is, more "blue" for green growth and more "red" for flowering - so, 6500K CFLs are supposed to be a bit better for the beginning stages and the 2050K are a bit better for flowering, although CFLs might not be the best choice once you're that far along anyway. But they're excellent for little seedlings because the light is diffuse and the bulbs don't get hot, which means you can get them very close to the plants without harming them and that's important because the effectiveness of your light source diminishes exponentially with distance.

So, for lighting up a small grow area (something like 0.5 m^2 or a bit bigger), a 200w 6400K CFL with a reflector is probably ideal.

Yeah sorry. I realize now that I asked a dumb question. Someone had told me blacklights were used for growing and I wrongfully assumed they were right. Anyways, I did some searching around and realized the absurdity of my question lol.

That being said, would it be dumb for me to start planting some seeds inside my house now so the plants can get a head start on growing? Summers here in Texas are brutal and I'd like to reap a harvest before the heat gets to be too much...

Again, sorry about the dumb the post!
Brutal summers, huh? my summer temp reached 119F this year, and no... it isn't hottest one. :lol:
A little shade cloth works like a charm. you can start whatever you want, whenever you want as long as you have the right gear.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/25876-article-light-101/

Back