• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Black patches on peppers

Hello,

I have 60 plants growing- 20 carolina reapers, 40 scotch bonnet from different seed sources.
Half of my plants are at my house and the other half are at my parents house. 

On 6 of the plants (4 at my house, 2 at my parents) I have black spots on the tops of the peppers.  2 of the reapers are affected and 4 of the scotch bonnet.  I've done some research and I'm not exactly sure what the problem is - I'm actually a little more unsure now  ;) 

I'd really appreciate some help with a definitive identification of the problem!  Thanks!

Attachments

• scotch.jpg
    scotch.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 128
Solution
Hi Guys,

My apologies for such a ridiculously late reply...the past year has really turned life upside down!!

I just want to leave this post in case anyone else has the same issue...it was definitely sunburn!
I kept all of the plants over the winter, plus I planted new ones. I took detailed notes this year on the plants - some were bushy, with leaves covering the peppers. Others were not so bushy - these plants always had the burnt looking peppers. So I bought a shade cloth and covered only half of the not so bushy plants. The peppers stopped burning on the covered plants.

Now I have a shade cloth for the whole greenhouse and I do not have any more burnt peppers.

Thanks for you help last year, which also helped me this year!
Sun burn.  Can happen if your pods are getting too much direct light.
Got pictures of the plants?  I'm guessing that you have a foliage problem contributing to this...

here are a couple pictures.

A lot of the the leaves are yellow and drop off.  It's strange because the plants with the "burnt" peppers don't look the healthiest but they certainly give me the most fruit

Attachments

• 20200908_135557.jpg
    20200908_135557.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200908_152232.jpg
    20200908_152232.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 123
honestly, my watering has been quite sporadic as I'm in the middle of a move and reno. 

It's been warmer than usual (mid 20s Celsius) for the past week and a half.  So I have been watering every other day.

Half of the plants are in Miracle Grow Potting Mix 0.21-0.11-0.16
The other half are in Premium Organic Potting Soil (from Costco).

Do you water automatically, or do you gauge the necessity, based on the weight of the container? 

Your leaves look a bit droopy in one of the pics.  Could be either over or under watering.  Both can cause nutrient uptake disruption.  And judging by the big veiny leaves, I'd say that's what is happening.  Can't be for sure, but it sure seems it.

Hi Guys,

My apologies for such a ridiculously late reply...the past year has really turned life upside down!!

I just want to leave this post in case anyone else has the same issue...it was definitely sunburn!
I kept all of the plants over the winter, plus I planted new ones. I took detailed notes this year on the plants - some were bushy, with leaves covering the peppers. Others were not so bushy - these plants always had the burnt looking peppers. So I bought a shade cloth and covered only half of the not so bushy plants. The peppers stopped burning on the covered plants.

Now I have a shade cloth for the whole greenhouse and I do not have any more burnt peppers.

Thanks for you help last year, which also helped me this year!

Solution
Back