• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black Pearl

Does anybody know what peppers were bred to get the Black Pearls? I have some plants a pal gave me a seedlings and some are like Black Pearls and others have no resemblance. Any help is appreciated!

Tons of vendors sell anything purple as Black Pearl.
Black pearl has purple flowers(not purple and white or whatever),it has ROUND pods,no other shape.
The Hybrid is a secret.

Chileman-

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=Black+Pearl&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

It seems to grow true from isolated seeds.
I see Black Prince and several other plants sold as Black Pearl.
IF it doesn't have round pods it isn't a pure black pearl.
I see plants with White ,Purple and green variegated leaves sold as Black Pearl.

I got my first plant in mid 2000.

My plants have always been very distinctive as far as looks etc.
Great plant,but a lot of other stuff is sold as Black Pearl.
I see green Black Pearl and a lot of pointed podded and leafed plants called Black Pearl.
Though a few Black Pearl plants had dark green and redish leaves but got darker as the plant aged.

I have Isolated seeds from grown outs of my original Black Pearl.
I just stuck a couple sprouted seeds in my sprouter for them an hour ago.

IF you want to trade,I know where my seeds came from and they have grown true so far from isolated seeds.
Nice Plant,pods are hot with very little taste in my opinion.
I dry them and add them to powder mixes of sweets.

EDIT:

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/19417/PDF

See Origins...EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW. :)

Royal Black and another developed pepper - '86 Arboretum-It produced the
F8 stable Hybrid(Black Pearl).

Excellent info I really appreciate it. Here are some pics of what I have. I'm fairly certain these were Black Pearls to start with. He had an original plant and had saved seeds so are now 3 generations from the original. I just didn't know if:
A. These plants that are hybrid will revert in time to either parent plants. or:
B. Through cross pollination turn into something else. The one that is clearly a Black Pearl is a long way(over 500ft) from any other pepper plants I have. The others are all close to Jalopeno, Tabasco, Hab, Portugal,Thai, Cayenne, Trinidad and sweet Cocina. In fact the others in the pics came from seeds that were from the same pod as the true-looking one.

I recently read that with these peppers and being closely grown they easily cross pollinate. Is this true and do they actually take on the form of a nearby pepper and how many generations does it take? It wouldn't happen in the same season?

So thanks again for yours and anybody else's help. I'm new to growing hot or any other peppers, but have had good success despite a cold rainy dearly summer. They are all coming on now pretty strong.

I've only grown mine in isolation.
After I got my seeds I gave them away.
They are great lookers but not something I want taking up my limited garden space.
I only grow them to keep my seed stock fresh.

I don't know about crossing etc.
I only grew it outside once and it was nice looking but wasn't something I wanted to keep at the time.
They do well indoors in a window.Too bad the pods aren't better tasting.They do kick them out heavily.

I just planted a bunch of black podded and leafed stuff today for winter.
Black Prince,Aussie Black,Black Cluster,Royal Black , Black Pearl and a few others.

I agree that Black Pearl is visually stunning, but not "edible" enough to warrant taking up too much grow space. They looked great in my flowerbeds last year but I have since figured that throwing Thais in the flowerbeds produces more peppers for the freezer. I am growing a "Black Prince" that I got from a member (seed SASBE). It is loaded with black pods that grow downward (not a Black Prince trait). Pods take forever to ripen but when they do they are fabulous! Mild and fruity like a cherry pepper, perfect for stuffing. Whatever it is, I will be growing that one again next year.

Back