• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Black spots on Romas and Jalapenos

I have 6 Roma Tom plants and about 3 to 4 toms on each plant have soft black growth on the bottom.
My jalapenos have this too.
Any feed back for a cure would be great.

Blossom End Rot sounds to be the culprit. My friends Romas has them.....which was going to be my Roma because they neglected the damn thing so bad.

Blossom End Rot.
One of the most frustrating of all the garden problems.
Basically, it is caused by a lack of calcium, which makes the blossom end of the pods rot.
However, you can't just pour calcium in. The problem is ABSORPTION of calcium, not necessarily availability of calcium.
Irregular watering, or too much water, or too little water, can all interfere with the plant's ability to uptake calcium and deliver it to the pods. May not even matter if you have a high calcium fertilizer. If it can't deliver the calcium, it ain't gonna get to the pods.

Understand, however, that many plants will eventually grow out of BER. As the season grinds on, that problem tends to get less severe. Whereas today you might have a whole slew of pods with the rot, a month from now, with no intervention on your part, you may find it's down to the occasional pod or two.

There is one product on the market, called Rot-Stop (from Bonide, I believe), that purports to be used as a foliar spray to deliver fast-acting calcium where it's needed, and hence, end BER. I've used it, and the results have been mixed.

The much better solution is to really nail down what's causing the BER and address that root cause - watering frequencly, pH level of soil, etc.

But if all else fails and you don't have the time to study calcium delivery channels and all that stuff, you could just buy Rot-Stop and spray you plants; I figure you'd get a 40-50 % chance of it helping a lot with the problem. Just, whatever you do, and this is not listed in the product info, but here's the real world issue with Rot-Stop: do NOT spray it on your plants on a hot day, meaning over 80. Rot-Stop has a very negative effect on plants that are too charged up from the heat - you could get massive leaf drop, pod drop, etc. Really is best to hang tight and wait for a nice, moderate, cloudy or at least indirect sun day, at dusk, when the plants aren't too stressed out.

Back