• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black tips on habs.

Just this year, most of my habaneros have a black tip, like the one pictured. My cayennes and jalapenos in the same raised bed are doing fine, but the habs... not so much. The black flesh of the pepper is pretty tough... I am not exactly sure what is causing this, but I am having to cut off a significant portion of each pepper before using it. I talked to my dad [local growing expert], and he thought it may be due to the heat, and lack of moisture. We have been having 100+ days for several weeks now, and no rain at all. I have been watering every 2-3 days, and the foliage generally looks pretty good. Usually there is some wilting before I water, but not enough to cause me any concern for the over-all plant health. Could this be due to hot weather, or am I looking at a different problem?

blacktip.jpg

I had the same problem with my first round of peppers this year. Just the supers, cayenne were fine. Farmerguy suggested that I should water more. I doubled the waterings and it has mostly gone away.

looks like blossom end rot. which in my case was caused by the soil drying out too much and locking out nutrients (mainly calcium). Don't let them wilt before you water and it should go away.

Gotcha. We have had such a hot and dry summer, that I almost have to water every day... I bought a soaker hose, which has been wonderful. I will try to keep a better eye on them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back