food Blackened Tuna on a bed of spring mix deliciousness

So I was wondering around the grocery store this morning and decided to call JayT on the phone to suggest a nice fruity pepper to use in a sauce to go with my tuna. He suggested a habanero, so I decided to pick up one at the store. Low and behold, Giant food stores didnt carry them, in fact, the pepper selection was so minimal I just closed my eyes and picked one, and it happened to be a Hot Finger pepper, which I must say, is not hot by any means, but hey it does taste good.

Protein:
2 tuna steaks, around 4/5ths of a LB total, chunked into cubes

Blackening sauce for tuna, all put in a tossing bowl:
3/4ths stick salted melted butter
Minced garlic
Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning to taste, I like a lot
Sea salt
lime juice

Dressing for the salad:
Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, equivalent to HALF the amount of dressing you would use on your salad
1/4 Hot Finger Pepper minced fine
1/4 dried Pasilla chili, ground
Ancho chili powder
cayenne chili powder
sugar (secret ingredient shhhhhh)

Preparations!!!

Dressing:
Simmer all the dressing ingredients in a skillet on low-medium heat for 5 or 6 minutes, during the last 30 seconds add a tablespoon of sugar, whisk, and pull off the heat

Place you spring mix or whatever lettuce in a bowl

Dump your salad dressing on the lettuce, place the skillet back on medium heat, and throw in some white wine to deglaze the pan for 5 or 10 seconds, then pour wine over top of the salad as well

Tuna goup:
Melt everything in the microwave minus the blackened seasoning
Pour into a mixing bowl, toss in the blackened seasoning and the tuna, and slosh the tuna around in the butter with your hands until completely coated, but make sure that it doesnt get too cold otherwise the butter will harden again.

Blackening the tuna (you can do this inside but outside works the best because of the smoke):
Cast Iron skillet on med high heat for 5 or 6 minutes
Spray quickly with some Pam or similar product
Toss on 4 to 5 pieces of the tuna at once, flip after 6-8 seconds, leave on another 6-8 seconds and pull them off and place on a plate. Repeat until all the tuna is cooked.

Put your fresh rare blackened delicious tuna on the salad, and dump all of the left over hot butter and seasonings from the tuna skillet overtop of everything

Devour and enjoy!!!

SpringmixandBlackenedTuna.jpg

Oh hell yeah! A couple weeks ago mrs. blues and I were down in Puerto Vallarta, which is tuna heaven, and yours looks to be every bit as delicious as we ate for a week. Most excellent wheebz and hot blue and righteous!!

Yeah that's not blackened, blackened is a crust from blackening spices, but it looks good.

Hehe no you were right it appears burnt. Dark brown/black crust. The crust is from certain Cajun spices.

True blackened is done in a cast iron skillet on extreme high heat where the spices are pressed into the meat, very crusty on the outside while raw in the middle

I did the tuna inside today, and on the stove, so I could not get the skillet hot enough to do that, and because of the garlic butter, the spices arent pressed into the fish like a true "blackened" tuna, but doing it this way allows me to have a garlic butter sauce on my salad, which I love

I wasnt gonna light up the grill for 2 pieces of tuna

wheebz said:
I wasnt gonna light up the grill for 2 pieces of tuna
Boooooooooooooooo what kind of man are you? lol.

I really dont do any oven cooking, except fries and lasagna

other than that, its all stove top or grill

When I lived in Harrisburg, PA for 2 years, we werent allowed to have a grill in my apartment, so I used the stove for 95 percent of my cooking

I came up with some pretty cool techniques

MrArboc said:
I thought "blackened" meant that it was supposed to be almost burnt. Seriously - I did!

It SOMEWHAT means that.. When you make a blackened fish, most of the time you would heat up a cast iron pan/skillet hot enough to have the butter reach its smoke point. The butter will begin to... for lack of a better word, burn, that combined with the dry rub, which is usually cajun spices, will cause a blackened crust. Hope that helps!!!

P.S. Wheebz.. If you really like fish I would definitely try some ceder wood planks with a good salmon fillet and a side of asparagus... It is a beautiful thing :)

Well, it may not be truly "blackened" but it was truly GOOD! Wheebz saved me a couple bites. I didn't get all the foo foo salad and stuff, but the tuna was outstanding. (Cooked MR just right)

Well thanks guys

It truly was amazing when it was all prepared with the salad.

JayT and I are going to make this again one sunday soon along with his wings and post up beer and food pics galore, so stay tuned, cause it will be epic

And I am going to take half a toothpick of Defcon 0 straight to the tongue !!!!

wheebz said:
Well thanks guys

It truly was amazing when it was all prepared with the salad.

JayT and I are going to make this again one sunday soon along with his wings and post up beer and food pics galore, so stay tuned, cause it will be epic

And I am going to take half a toothpick of Defcon 0 straight to the tongue !!!!

This is drunk talk if I ever heard it. Oh wait it was 2:30AM when you were saying this. Yep definitely drunk talk :lol:

Back