• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Blended powders and why

As with individual peppers themselves and all the possible crosses to acquire certain traits in taste and heat, so also are the uses of powders made from them.
What is it you are attempting to achieve when combining powders and was your combination successful in that you achieved your goal or created something you didn't expect and the success or failure of that.

I like the colors. No lie. Don't use " powders" as much as "blends". And I've been slacking on that front lately.

I started making some blended powders towards the end of the year for a few reasons.

1. I had enough powder of individual peppers.
2. Wanted to try it to see how it turned out.
3. It was just easier to process them this way.

sirex said:
I like the colors. No lie. Don't use " powders" as much as "blends". And I've been slacking on that front lately.
Actually, when I referred to blends I was talking about two or more powders combined together to get a specific flavor/burn or both.

Rymerpt said:
I like Thai Habenero mix for cooking.

Any chocolate pepper mixed with any other chocolate pepper. I use for baking (fudge, cakes)
Hmmm, Hot fudge brownies in the literal sense.

I have a big jar of mixed supers from when there's not enough of an individual pepper to justify its own jar.  and a woozy I call super mix. It's a blend of lot's of different peppers, some smoked some not. It tastes great. Some of it dates back to last winter and slowly has odds and ends added to it. 

I go back and forth on what powders I prefer but right now it's a bottle of alder & cherry smoked bahamian goat and MOA bonnets. Such a great taste and goes great on everything. 

In the past, I would dehydrate pods and then crumble as needed.  I am just now experimenting.  Goal is to bring out more of the flavor by decreasing the heat.  Lets a person use more before their face melts.

My first blend was a 50/50 mix of orange habs and ghost peppers. I liked the hab flavor but wanted more heat so I mixed the 2 and got a very good general purpose blend pretty much went with anything from sweet (fruit preserves) to savory (BBQ sauce). 

I recently had a small amount of each of the following peppers:
carolina reaper
brown moruga
red 7 pot brainstrain
yellow fatalii
chocolate habanero
orange habanero
ghost pepper

dried them all together and powderized.
Can't say I'm excited about the flavor of the blend, a couple flavors are "clashing" for want of a better word, but not sure which ones.
A couple of my friends like it because it's hot as hell but I don't think I'm gonna do that again. 
I now have enough of each that I can dry a bunch of each and test the individual flavors before any more experiments waste my precious pods.

The pepper mix that I have was carefully cultivated through pragmatism.

Whatever was ripe and processed at the time, after a certain point went into a giant pickle jar.

:) turned out good though.

Hawaiianero said:
My first blend was a 50/50 mix of orange habs and ghost peppers. I liked the hab flavor but wanted more heat so I mixed the 2 and got a very good general purpose blend pretty much went with anything from sweet (fruit preserves) to savory (BBQ sauce). 

I recently had a small amount of each of the following peppers:
carolina reaper
brown moruga
red 7 pot brainstrain
yellow fatalii
chocolate habanero
orange habanero
ghost pepper

dried them all together and powderized.
Can't say I'm excited about the flavor of the blend, a couple flavors are "clashing" for want of a better word, but not sure which ones.
A couple of my friends like it because it's hot as hell but I don't think I'm gonna do that again. 
I now have enough of each that I can dry a bunch of each and test the individual flavors before any more experiments waste my precious pods.
That's what I'm talking about. After its all said and done, there has to be reason to do it again.

jsschrstrcks said:
The pepper mix that I have was carefully cultivated through pragmatism.

Whatever was ripe and processed at the time, after a certain point went into a giant pickle jar.

:) turned out good though.
Planning on doing that this year with anything that is still in the garden when first frost hits.  Label it by year and call it by the vintage. 

Tried my first Jays peach ghost scorpion today. Very noticeable chinense flavor up front but was short lasting and not too much of a negative. I will have to try this one in powder form to better evaluate if it would be more suitable alone or as a blend and with what.

Tomorrow, chocolate BBG long

CAPCOM said:
Tried my first Jays peach ghost scorpion today. Very noticeable chinense flavor up front but was short lasting and not too much of a negative. I will have to try this one in powder form to better evaluate if it would be more suitable alone or as a blend and with what.

Tomorrow, chocolate BBG long

I'm not overly impressed with it dried. Though maybe it would be better with a smoke. I prefer smoked powders. 

ajdrew said:
Planning on doing that this year with anything that is still in the garden when first frost hits.  Label it by year and call it by the vintage. 
haha I have a full pickle jar of 2009.

Orange habs, bhut, 7pot jonah, scotch bonnet, a number of wilds, thai peppers, well... frankly I had about 400 varieties going one year, and they (at various points) all ended up getting mixed together.

I have a number of jars of "cayenne type" lol, or habenero type.

D3monic said:
I have a big jar of mixed supers from when there's not enough of an individual pepper to justify its own jar.  and a woozy I call super mix. It's a blend of lot's of different peppers, some smoked some not. It tastes great. Some of it dates back to last winter and slowly has odds and ends added to it. 

I go back and forth on what powders I prefer but right now it's a bottle of alder & cherry smoked bahamian goat and MOA bonnets. Such a great taste and goes great on everything. 

u have any of that alder and cherry smoked Bahamian Goat and MOA powder for sale?.......That stuff sounds AMAZING!!

KingChile said:

u have any of that alder and cherry smoked Bahamian Goat and MOA powder for sale?.......That stuff sounds AMAZING!!

Unfortunatly what is pictured is all I have. I will definitely be growing more of each plant next year though. I wish my cross of the two would have took but only one pod took and it was a runt. Had two seeds inside and neither germinated. 

D3monic said:

Unfortunatly what is pictured is all I have. I will definitely be growing more of each plant next year though. I wish my cross of the two would have took but only one pod took and it was a runt. Had two seeds inside and neither germinated. 

Let me know, I would love to try that stuff it just sounds delicious!!

Back