• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Blood meal & ph

Does Blood meal decreases the ph level ??
i have got my plant's ph level all to 6.5 to 7 but in the weekend i have put some blood meal & bone meal mix to all my plants. yesterday i found the ph level for my plants decreased. now they are about ph 5 - 4.5 .

am i doing something worng ?

srin2 said:
Does Blood meal decreases the ph level ??
i have got my plant's ph level all to 6.5 to 7 but in the weekend i have put some blood meal & bone meal mix to all my plants. yesterday i found the ph level for my plants decreased. now they are about ph 5 - 4.5 .

am i doing something worng ?

Thats very low, you need a pH of about 6.5 to 6.8!

Get some dolomite lime and put about a tablespoon or two around the top layer of soil and water.

There might be too much fertilizer in the soil aready which is what caused the soil to become too acidic, so you might need to flush the pot once or twice first before doing anything with the lime.

RichardK said:
Thats very low, you need a pH of about 6.5 to 6.8!

Get some dolomite lime and put about a tablespoon or two around the top layer of soil and water.

There might be too much fertilizer in the soil aready which is what caused the soil to become too acidic, so you might need to flush the pot once or twice first before doing anything with the lime.

hi Richardk,
i bought a rapidtest 4in1 soil tester. according to it the npk level for my soil is low but the ph level is also low. one of my rose pots it shows that the ph is 2 and the plant is wilting badly!. i got a 5 liter bag of calcium hydroxide/ garden lime but i don't know how much to use for a 10inch pot.

If its bad enough, I would start again...Re-pot & Mixing your lime and bone meal prior to potting... and test run off once you think you have it right ;)
I find doing small adjustments on the top soil just leads to more issues !

chilliman said:
If its bad enough, I would start again...Re-pot & Mixing your lime and bone meal prior to potting... and test run off once you think you have it right ;)
I find doing small adjustments on the top soil just leads to more issues !

thanks chilliman. when i re-pot , do i remove plant and clean all the roots off with water and then have a clean start with new potting soil ?

You can ... just be very careful not to damage ANY of the roots, as your plant is already in fragile state.
I would just give it a shake! :)

Back