• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bode Amarillo

I was able to produce a pepper that is NOT a superchile!!!! YAY!!

I traded some seeds with huntsman a few years ago and was able to sprout a "bode amarillo." I suspect it is a rare breed, as I can't find a lot of information about it on the internet. I've got a bunch of more green pods, but nothing yet ready to pick. As "amarillo" means yellow in Spanish, I think it is a good guess that these mature yellow, although I'm not sure if this would have gotten a darker, more "orangey" color, had I left it on the vine longer. The problem is that I left my family garden this afternoon, and was dying to taste one. One thing to note is that the leaves do not appear to be the chinese, as Bodes are reported to be. This is a LONG SEASON pepper, as I transplanted it into the ground 101 days ago and have only 1 ripe pepper so far. I am hoping for at least 1 more month of good weather, so I can get more peppers form the plant.

Review:

The smell and taste are a unique delicious fruitiness, that I have not experienced before. The heat level was a little disappointing, but it did have heat. As, I only ate one, and they are small, It is hard to approximate the scovilles. My best guess is 1,500 to 2,500 scovilles. For me, the flavor makes up for the lack of heat, and it would be an excellent choice for non-chileheads to tolerate.

Enjoy the pics:

DSCN0254.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

DSCN0252.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

Back