• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Plant quantities are subject to change. As always, new varieties will emerge and I will just have to try them. But this is my "soft" final list.

Peppers I need to look into before making a decision on:

Short Frutescens
Ethiopian Berbere
Small Vietnamese
Datil Pepper
C Chacoense
Cowhorn Cayenne
Black Birdseye Cross
CO 4548
Zimbabwe Bird
PI 438638
Aji Dulce
Aji Lemon
and something just labeled as Baccatum OP

From what I am reading the, [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]C Chacoense can take forever to germ, didn't taste the greatest, and has only mild heat. Don't think it is worth the effort.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Cowhorn Cayenne is looking like a winner lol[/background]

You've got an ambitious grow planned bro! Good luck on it... I'll be checking in to see how it's going once you get it underway. This coming year I'll cut down a bit on the annuums so I can grow more chinense varieties, and for the first time, I'll try some baccatums and a pubiscens variety as well. Cheers.

You are way ahead of me!

So far, I've got a wishlist of about 18 new things I want to try next year, but don't have seeds for all of them yet. Guess I need to start arranging some more trades!

While you are talking about expanding, I'm wondering if I'll have to cut back, due to a lack of free time now. Can't really nail down a growlist until I decide whether or not to rent the plot at the community garden again or not. If I can get another set of soaker hoses, where I don't have to go by there everyday, I might still do it.

Your list looks great! Lots of variety on there.

You've got an ambitious grow planned bro! Good luck on it... I'll be checking in to see how it's going once you get it underway. This coming year I'll cut down a bit on the annuums so I can grow more chinense varieties, and for the first time, I'll try some baccatums and a pubiscens variety as well. Cheers.

Time will tell how I fair with this. Might need to get some more grow lights to get these all up. I might have more varieties next year, but I have cut back a lot of those to just the one plant. One thai instead of 6 should give me more room to try new peppers. And I must use my containers I got last year and barely utilized this year.

I would love to rip the flower out from around the house and put in pepper plants, but I don't think I would live to see them ripen lol

You are way ahead of me!

So far, I've got a wishlist of about 18 new things I want to try next year, but don't have seeds for all of them yet. Guess I need to start arranging some more trades!

While you are talking about expanding, I'm wondering if I'll have to cut back, due to a lack of free time now. Can't really nail down a growlist until I decide whether or not to rent the plot at the community garden again or not. If I can get another set of soaker hoses, where I don't have to go by there everyday, I might still do it.

Your list looks great! Lots of variety on there.

Shoot me a list and I will see if I have anything you need. I think the only issue I am seeing right now is none of my yellow habaneros germinated last year and I only have two seeds from that same packet left. Those might not make it into the garden either.

One of my overwinters. This is the Chocolate Douglah

OW1.jpg

OW2.jpg

Here is the spot down at the barn that I can make into a third garden if I need to. Only thought of issues are having to rabbit proof it which would be a pain in the butt for sure....but its there if I need it.

GardenSpot3.jpg

Here is a couple pics of the old garden. This one was down by the road and people would stop in the middle of the night to help themselves. One of the reasons for it being shut down. There is a well driven there, so it wouldn't be much to get water to it if I could keep the thieves out. This one was nice back in the day.

OldGarden1.jpg

OldGarden2.jpg

Didn't know where to stick this picture, so I just stuck it here. About 2 months early in blooming, but doing well.

ChristmasCactus.jpg

Looking forward to following some big grows like yours from the beginning. Looks like a great list. Of your question mark varieties, I've go Datil, Aji Dulce, and C. chacoense. The chacoenses took a couple of weeks to germ and only two of ten did. Only growing them because they were a gift seed. The Datil and Aji Dulce I've never tried, but have heard they are both tasty. We'll see. Best wishes for an incredible season.

Doesn't belong here, but I'm just throwing it out in case someone knows. I am going nuts trying to find Valentine tomato seed. If anyone has a line on some, please shoot me an email.

Got some little green clearish looking bugs on my OW. Gotta get these things gone before the new plants are started. So far they are proving resilient against the "Safer" bug treatment.

Didn't seem to have a bug problem all year though.

I am OW some flower type plants, perhaps they came from those. Dunno.

Still fighting these buggers. Hit em with something called safer something or other to see if that kicks their butts. Might have to switch to Sevin. If I can't get them under control I will have to isolate in a different room so I don't have a bug problem on the new plants.

Those are aphids you are battling. I had the same problem last year with my overwinters, which is why I haven't brought any of the container plants in from the garage yet. Still trying to decide if it is worth the battle. I tried the Safer Insecticidal Soap, but it had to be reapplied every few days to keep them under control. Finally ended up spending the big bucks and bought some Azamax.

http://www.generalhy...hat-does-it-do/

It took two treatments, but they were gone for good after that.

Hope you are able to annihilate them!

I may have to isolate the plants and make sure the grow room is clean for the new seedlings coming up soon. If that won't work they will have to be put down.

To make matters worse, seed catalogs are starting to arrive at the house.

I wonder how I would do if I planted the back 40 acre field to supers lol. There is a stream there I could dam up and use to irrigate with. Could you imagine trying to harvest something like that. It would make a lot of hot sauce lol.

Anyway, time to curl up with a good book (seed catalog)!!! I got the itch starting early this year.

I think my ow will go bye bye. Just can't have all these bugs in there before I start the new plants and I can't seem to get rid of them.

On the plus side, order 5 bucks worth of stuff from Totally Tomatoes and you get some free seed, with one of the packets being purple cayenne. That was what I was shooting for last season when I planted the blend, but I didn't get any.

Hey, BD! That will be an impressive grow, for sure! It's great to have
so much space to grow in. The only downside is you have room for 1000
pepper plants! Good luck keeping all that under control. The '3rd' garden
looks like a great spot well set up for growing. Too bad about the midnight
raiders in your first garden space. Maybe planting nothing but extreme
supers would teach them a lesson!

As for the aphids they suck, literally. I have found Neem and the squish method
to work fairly well, and removing infested branch tips outrightl keeps them under
control until the plants are done producing, then the trimming back to second forks
and a good dose of Neem seems to help keep them from re-infesting. Daily
inspection and removal early on is a key to success with their eradication.

Good luck, my friend. Here's wishing the best of the holiday season, and a very
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for you and your family!

Thanks Paul, and the same to you and yours as well. OW have gone away. Tried to save some other plants and I think that is where the aphids came from. All will be trashed before I even think about cleaning the room before the new grow starts. Kind of bums me out, but I don't want to be fighting these things all next season as well.

Time to get the grow room cleaned out, check supplies, and make sure all lights are functioning. It is about time to start playing in the dirt again!!!!

Back