Bokashi compost

Does anyone here use this method?
I was just reading about it and wondered why it would be good if it's created anaerobically verses aerobic conditions for a traditional compost pile?

Haven't gotten into it yet.  I hear that Neil from the hippy seed company does this.  You have seen his plants before right?

My local horticulture shop swares by them.  They do not stink up your kitchen or house supposedly.  I believe you can use the liquid results as a foliar instead of brewing tea which might be somewhat less of an effort.  I will own one eventually.

Mike

jedisushi06 said:
Haven't gotten into it yet.  I hear that Neil from the hippy seed company does this.  You have seen his plants before right?
Not sure Mike, I think I have. I still want to know how bad bacteria is beneficial to plants?
We strive to keep our compost teas aerobic because the good bacteria reside there but this method is making it anaerobic intentionally.
Am I missing something? :think:

On a side note we are all named Mike. :lol:

capsidadburn said:
My local horticulture shop swares by them.  They do not stink up your kitchen or house supposedly.  I believe you can use the liquid results as a foliar instead of brewing tea which might be somewhat less of an effort.  I will own one eventually.

Mike
you can build one pretty easy.

I have been doing bokashi for about a year now. It does not stink up your kitchen as it is anerobic and sealed up. You can use the juice as a foliar or root drench. I use the juices when brewing my AACT.

Once my inside bin is full, i let it sit a few weeks and then dump it into my outside compost pile.

Since it is anerobic you can put meat, dairy and pretty much anything in there.

This way of composting speeds up the compost process. Just sprinkle a light layer of bokashi bran each time you put scraps into the bin.

Thanks guys. I have no need for one personally as I have a vermicompost bin in the garage and a large Smith & Hawken compost bin in the yard. I am just curious as to why one would put anaerobic compost on a plant? Nobody seems to know. Guess I will research it some more just for educational purposes.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Thanks guys. I have no need for one personally as I have a vermicompost bin in the garage and a large Smith & Hawken compost bin in the yard. I am just curious as to why one would put anaerobic compost on a plant? Nobody seems to know. Guess I will research it some more just for educational purposes.
Different strains of microbes and bacteria.

My bokashi compost does not go right to the plant once it is dumped. It is then either buried or dumped into my other compost pile to continue the process. It is a quicker way to compost.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Thanks holyhotpeppers. Now I see why its popular as its the speed not the bacteria that is the focus.
I think it is also meant for more URBAN composting, as it is contained in a sealed container. I use it and I am not in a URBAN setting for the convenience factor of composting withhout walking out to my outside compost pile after every meal. The juice can easily be drained from my bokashi bin when I want to use it as whatever i.e. foliar, drench or aact.

Pick up a kit and see if you like it. They are pretty cheap. Here is a good summary of pro's con's etc http://www.compostguy.com/bokashi-resource-page/

I want to get one because I live in an apartment and grow on my balcony and in a community garden, both with not a lot of space. If I had space I would love to have a huge compost pile, but it's not happening any time soon. Right now I have a trash can compost bin at the garden and a worm bin on the balcony.

Yeah not worth the time for me as a vermicompost bin and an outside bin is all I could possibly need.
I also have a big electric shredder/chipper and several plants, trees, etc in the yard where I get my material for the compost pile.
We don't have much leftover compostable waste here so what we do have goes into the freezer for the worm bin or into the compost bin in the back yard.

Regardless of aerobic or anaerobic the reason bokashi is good for plants is because of the beneficial microbes put into the compost via the inoculated bran you use.
Aerobic or Anaerobic doesn't dictate necessarily good or bad bacteria/microbes however the probability of non beneficial bacteria is higher in anaerobic processes. This is minimised with bokashi by inoculated bran inserted into the process.

Back