• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health "Bolted" Plants.

I sowed all my plants at the same time, back at the very start of February, indoors under LEDs.
Got a good germination rate and the chinense varieties, which are the bulk of my crop, are doing well. However, I'd also sewed a few annum types, mostly jalapeno, and most if not all of these have 'bolted'. In development terms, I should have been starting to harden them off and have them spend time outside some weeks back, but the weather locally (N. Ireland) just isn't there yet. In future I'll be planting chinense well ahead of annum.

Anyway, my question is, can I do anything to save these plants? They're currently in 15cm pots and are probably ready to pot-on.

I sowed all my plants at the same time, back at the very start of February, indoors under LEDs.
Got a good germination rate and the chinense varieties, which are the bulk of my crop, are doing well. However, I'd also sewed a few annum types, mostly jalapeno, and most if not all of these have 'bolted'. In development terms, I should have been starting to harden them off and have them spend time outside some weeks back, but the weather locally (N. Ireland) just isn't there yet. In future I'll be planting chinense well ahead of annum.

Anyway, my question is, can I do anything to save these plants? They're currently in 15cm pots and are probably ready to pot-on.
Pick off the buds. My lesya plants are flowering now & I'll just keep the buds off 4 now.

Last edited:
@SwingDog I'm also interested in seeing pics. Typically when I hear the term 'bolting' it refers to leafy greens (such as collard greens, cabbage, lettuce, etc.) flowering and going to seed, which changes the taste profile and frankly means the end of the harvest season for those greens. However, with fruiting plants such as pepper, tomatoes, etc., this is just the beginning! If your pepper plants are in small pots and are starting to put out flower buds, it is likely that they're root bound. If they are, and if you have a few weeks before you can transplant, it might not be a bad idea (if feasible) to up-pot to a sightly larger container for those few weeks and let the roots continue to grow. If they are severely root bound you might need to tease the roots apart gently at the bottom to get them to grow well again. Take a pic of the roots too and let's see what's going on!

Last edited:
Some pics of young pepper plants flowering now.

1712534449024.png

1712534541931.png

1712534612562.png

As you can see the plants are doing well & are not root bound. It will be a few more weeks before they are ready for planting out.
The last thing I do before planting out is to take all the flowers off the tomatoes as well
1712534795412.png

Sorry for the delay in getting back. This is what they look like, I've just potted them on into what will probably be their final pot. Never seen a plant go like this before and all of my Peri Peri and Jalapeno look like this.

1000003526.jpg

Back