• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bone/bloodmeal question.

Now, I hear about both occasionally on the forum, and I did a search on them, but I just leaves me more confused than before. So I come to you for advice. I'm thinking of mixing one (both?) of them into the final soil mixes I have. I keep reading that I should use blood meal for the leaves, and bone meal for the flowers. 

Does this mean I should start with blood meal in the soil that will be their final resting place and somehow mix in bone meal later in the season when I want them to flower? Will this also be useful for the fruit?

I appreciate all advice I can get.

I've been having good results with adding everything to begin with and just letting the plant decide what it needs to soak up when.
     If what I added ends up being insufficient later on (plant growth stalls, signs of deficiency), then I'll just add more organic ferts as needed. I've found that stuff like TomatoTone, blood meal and even bone meal seem to get assimilated into the potting soil pretty well even if just added to the surface and watered in. 

I premix both of those, as well as some others, including garden lime, insect frass, kelp meal, bat guano, rock phosphates, and worm castings in to the soil before plant out.

If I had to choose one other thing to your list, it would be the kelp meal.

Liquid seaweed/kelp is the bomb, both nutritionally, and as a stress reducer for your plants if you need something to act more quickly or that is more expedient for applications like transplanting.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I've been having good results with adding everything to begin with and just letting the plant decide what it needs to soak up when.
     If what I added ends up being insufficient later on (plant growth stalls, signs of deficiency), then I'll just add more organic ferts as needed. I've found that stuff like TomatoTone, blood meal and even bone meal seem to get assimilated into the potting soil pretty well even if just added to the surface and watered in. 

As hybrid mode stated, they do seem to assimilate okay if added to the surface and watered in.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
assimilated !  your killing me !   way to big for a thursday !      :onfire:

Not sure that there is a right or wrong answer as far as what people use

I add bone meal to my soil at plantout,,thats the only NPK I use the entire season,,I dig it

Kevin

slade122 said:

If I had to choose one other thing to your list, it would be the kelp meal.

Liquid seaweed/kelp is the bomb, both nutritionally, and as a stress reducer for your plants if you need something to act more quickly or that is more expedient for applications like transplanting.

How much kelp do you add per ft3?

wayright said:

I add bone meal to my soil at plantout,,thats the only NPK I use the entire season,,I dig it

Kevin

You must have some AWESOME compost!
moruga welder said:
assimilated !  your killing me !   way to big for a thursday !      :onfire:

I'm just gettin' warmed up! Friday's word will be "ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase". 

Or "Miller". :D

How much kelp do you add per ft3?

You must have some AWESOME compost!

Half a cup for peppers. 2/3 cup for tomatoes. 1/4 cup for greens.

All of those are per cubic foot.

Keeping stress down in the high heat of the summer in texas is key.

wayright said:

Kevin

wayright said:

Kevin
Bone meal? That's it, Kevin?? You don't fertilize the heck out of those monsters?

Back