• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bone meal at flowering and podding?

I've been hitting my Bhuts, Habs and Jalapenos with an epsom foliar spray every two weeks and have been feeding them a tbs side dressing of 6-10-10 tomato food every other week. Tonight I fed them a tbs of bone meal instead of the tomato food. Bhuts are just starting to form pods and is just starting to flower like mad, jalapeno may have reached fruit load with not much flowers, One hab is podding like crazy with  many peppers just waiting to ripen but also has a ton of flowers and one hab has long been stunted and has peppers waiting to ripen with only a couple of flowers. Should I stay on the bi monthly bone meal feed to increase yield or just stick to a bi monthly epsom spray? I'm in zone 5b and have a first frost of mid October btw

I just do one feeding of bone meal during my final pot up.
If you are feeding your plants other nutes on a regular basis you shouldnt need to give it that much bone meal IMO.

Bone meal takes a while to break down and become useful to the plant. You should have put it in the pot earlier to get good results from it it's not instantly available to the plant so it won't help the pods already on the plant.

Like Megahot said, I only apply bone meal during transplantation, as the Phosphorus encourages vigorous root growth. You really don't need to be supplementing Phosphorus on top of a 6-10-10 fertilizer at all if they're producing pods. You could end up with a toxic level later in the season once it all breaks down.

Back