• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bone meal or blood meal?

I was at the feed store today and I saw bone meal and blood meal. I remember reading that one of them was desireable for peppers but I couldnt remember which one. Which is it? I bought bone meal.

I am only very new to growing chillies, so unfortunately I have absolutely no idea which is the better of the two, however, I have been recommended a mix of the two before; Blood and Bone. We have this stuff here in Australia called Dynamic Lifter which I am going to give a go. It is a mix of Blood and Bone, fish meal and seaweed.

Blood meal is very high in nitrogen. It has its uses, but is generally not necessary for chilis. Instead I use fish emulsion for nitrogen. I use blood meal for broccoli, corn, leafy vegetables and even onion and garlic to get some good big leaves to maximize bulb size. Too much nitrogen with cause you to have a lot of pretty leaves and not a lot of fruit. Also, too much nitrogen attracts a lot of the bad bugs.

Bone meal is high in phosphorus which is good for root growth and flower production. I will put some in the planting hole for tomatoes, peppers, and bulbs. It takes a while to break down and putting it in the hole gives it time to bread down for when the plants need it.

Hope that helps!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
Blood meal is very high in nitrogen. It has its uses, but is generally not necessary for chilis. Instead I use fish emulsion for nitrogen. I use blood meal for broccoli, corn, leafy vegetables and even onion and garlic to get some good big leaves to maximize bulb size. Too much nitrogen with cause you to have a lot of pretty leaves and not a lot of fruit. Also, too much nitrogen attracts a lot of the bad bugs.

Bone meal is high in phosphorus which is good for root growth and flower production. I will put some in the planting hole for tomatoes, peppers, and bulbs. It takes a while to break down and putting it in the hole gives it time to bread down for when the plants need it.

Hope that helps!
jacob

Thank You so much. So, I got it right then? I was a little buzzed and I was not sure I was getting the right one.

Back