• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Botanicare Calmag question

PaulG

eXtreme
I would just be interested to know what your interpretation is of this statement in the directions:

"For best results: Use with every watering with standard fertilizer program."

I would just be interested to know what your interpretation is of this statement in the directions:

"For best results: Use with every watering with standard fertilizer program."

Its recommending that you use it every time you water and fertilize. But you dont need to use it that much! Once every month should be fine unless there are signs of a cal/mag deficiency!

You can use 1/4th strength every watering. It is good stuff. Gypsum and epsom salts can do the same. But I used Cal mag it is a good product.

But mega hot is right you can use it once a few weeks or so.

If your soil is nute free soil you can use it every 2 weeks if you would like. IMO thats what I'd do. You def want to avoid over feeding (is my point)

Its recommending that you use it every time you water and fertilize. But you dont need to use it that much! Once every month should be fine unless there are signs of a cal/mag deficiency!

Are you talking full strength?

You can use 1/4th strength every watering. It is good stuff. Gypsum and epsom salts can do the same. But I used Cal mag it is a good product.

But mega hot is right you can use it once a few weeks or so.

So 1/4 strength about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon...

If your soil is nute free soil you can use it every 2 weeks if you would like. IMO thats what I'd do. You def want to avoid over feeding (is my point)

My soil has compost in it, and I have put 1/3 strength fish fert on it twice in 40 about days,
so don't know if I'd call it nute free, or not, but there are no slow release fertilizers or anything
like that.

Thanks everybody for the responses!

If it calls for 1 teaspoon a gal. then yes go 1/4 strength with 1/4 a tsp.

I agree with megahot, if it does not need it dont use it too much.

If it calls for 1 teaspoon a gal. then yes go 1/4 strength with 1/4 a tsp.

I agree with megahot, if it does not need it dont use it too much.

Good advice Capsicum, thanks. Maybe I'll try the every two week low strength,
alternating with the fish fertilizer at half strength. A few of my plants look like they
need a little sump'n sump'n different.

Are you talking full strength?

So 1/4 strength about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon...

My soil has compost in it, and I have put 1/3 strength fish fert on it twice in 40 about days,
so don't know if I'd call it nute free, or not, but there are no slow release fertilizers or anything
like that.

Thanks everybody for the responses!

It was never stated in the quote you posted. But usually they say too feed at full strength. But that is not recommended for all plant species! Esp pepper plants IMO

It was never stated in the quote you posted. But usually they say too feed at full strength. But that is not recommended for all plant species! Esp pepper plants IMO

Yes, 1 teaspoon per gallon is what the directions say,
but there is nothing for specific kinds of plants. Like you say,
less is better!

Good advice Capsicum, thanks. Maybe I'll try the every two week low strength,
alternating with the fish fertilizer at half strength. A few of my plants look like they
need a little sump'n sump'n different.

Before you get to thinking they look a little jaundiced... take them outside and look at them in natural sunlight. I thought the peppers I had down in my cellar under grow lights looked yellow until I brought them out into the sun today.

as was said, the strength of Botanicare to use varies with when in the life cycle you are...personally, if I were growing in soil that was total nutrient free, I would follow the botanicare instructions to a "T"...

but, as was already said, if your soil has nutritional value, you don't need as much or sometimes maybe none...just depends on the quality of the compost you are using in your soil mix...

I, personally trust what Botanicare says...I have seen some of the experimental growing pictures of peppers (cayenne) they grew under lights in a "closed" setting...they were grown hydroponically and followed the feeding regimen that is recommended on the backs of the package...and their results were fantastic with huge yields..

as was said, the strength of Botanicare to use varies with when in the life cycle you are...personally, if I were growing in soil that was total nutrient free, I would follow the botanicare instructions to a "T"...

but, as was already said, if your soil has nutritional value, you don't need as much or sometimes maybe none...just depends on the quality of the compost you are using in your soil mix...

I, personally trust what Botanicare says...I have seen some of the experimental growing pictures of peppers (cayenne) they grew under lights in a "closed" setting...they were grown hydroponically and followed the feeding regimen that is recommended on the backs of the package...and their results were fantastic with huge yields..

Yea soil is best to use less fertilizer.

BTW cayenne would nice to try indoor ....

Before you get to thinking they look a little jaundiced... take them outside and look at them in natural sunlight. I thought the peppers I had down in my cellar under grow lights looked yellow until I brought them out into the sun today.

Good point, Rick. All of them don't look awful. What I see is mottling on some,
and on a few plants just kind of 'tired' looking. I'm okay with light shades of green
as long as the plant looks otherwise healthy, like the aji stem! I know they will
green up outside and in summer growth mode! I'll take them out next month
when the sun shines again ; )
DSCN3845a.jpg

I went ahead and gave them a watering with the 1 tsp per gallon mix, taking into consideration
the comments here. I figure that the small pots will flush easily if I over do :doh: I have really
given them so little food in six weeks. We'll see what we'll see. I'll post another set of pics
in the near future for comparison.
DSCN3846a.jpg

Right now I fertilize about every two weeks, and will fertilize in two weeks
with low strength fish. Then in a month we'll see where we are with
potting up and going outside. With that little feeding, the regular dose
shouldn't be lethal. Thanks for chiming in AJ.

Back