• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Botany question on hot peppers?

Ok I have an idea for the next time I want to grow another plant.

I want to gene splice 2 hot peppers into a new hot pepper,

What equipment would I need "On the cheap side of things"?

I'm thinking about growing a hab & a green pepper.

I expect the tissue culture set up alone would run over a hundred thousand. Then you need supplies and equipment, and someone who knows how to use them.

Breeding them yourself is free.

Pam said:
I expect the tissue culture set up alone would run over a hundred thousand. Then you need supplies and equipment, and someone who knows how to use them.

Breeding them yourself is free.
what about q-tips a microscope then potting containers?

imaguitargod said:
I'm confused about the green pepper part of this.........
I was just using it as a basis for the question.

I will just stick to the grow log I have for now but thanks for help gang.

Dude, why?

I understand the pepper obsession thing as I am fully there at this point. However, going from growing your first Jalapeno to gene fusion is very extreme.:shocked:

PeteyPepper said:
Dude, why?

I understand the pepper obsession thing as I am fully there at this point. However, going from growing your first Jalapeno to gene fusion is very extreme.:shocked:
I would think it be really cool to create a different kind of pepper "some times I run before I can walk"

Just ask TB.

You realize you could just like cross them. For free. Probably have about the same results unless you're trying to create peppers that produce THC....

Which would totally kick ass btw....

Txclosetgrower said:
You realize you could just like cross them. For free. Probably have about the same results unless you're trying to create peppers that produce THC....

Any tips on how to do it?

Txclosetgrower said:

I second that motion!!

I have had my Jalapenos and green bell peppers cross before just by plating them too close to each other...

Txclosetgrower said:
Probably have about the same results unless you're trying to create peppers that produce THC....

Actually, according to McKenna's research, psilocybin can be grafted onto any plant's gene stucture (in theory)...imagine...psycadelic potatoes. :shocked:

imaguitargod said:
Actually, according to McKenna's research, psilocybin can be grafted onto any plant's gene stucture (in theory)...imagine...psycadelic potatoes. :shocked:

A "Get baked Potato"

Imagine the "Micro-Tots"

LUCKYDOG said:
A "Get baked Potato"

Imagine the "Micro-Tots"

I gotta laugh at that! :lol:

back on subject

phat - simple & cheap, Q-tips, tulle, time, & many seasons!
other than that why ?
theres so many different chiles out there that why waste your time trying to make a new chile, when you can just buy a plant/seeds of a plant that meeets your expectation of what you want in a chile or chile plant.

its not like you'll run out of choices to grow, we are talking about anywhere between 500-1000 different chiles.
& look you might find something you really like w/o ever trying to make a new chile. IMO it sounds easier to find a chile I like than create a new chile. I may be wrong cuz potawie seems like hes doing a good job at making a new chile.
but if thats your thing, good luck & have fun.

Back