bottles-jars Bottle and Sell hot sauce in restaurant

I own a restaurant and want to offer my signature hot sauce for sale. I live in PA. My research has brought me to this forum. At the very least, can somebody point me to the right resources?

Obviously, i have a commercial kitchen already so that part is taken care of. I simply want to bottle it, label it, and offer it to customers. I'm getting too many requests for the sauce that I can't ignore it any longer.

Eventually, I'd like to offer it on my web site for sale but I'm happy to start off in the restaurant.

Any help would be, well, helpful. :)

Matt

Start with your state's Department of Agriculture, they are usually the people who license food processors, not your local restaurant inspector.  Most states have pretty good information and application packets on their website.

If you are only selling from your restaurant (only selling within the state), you probably won't need FDA registration, depending on ingredients and such.  If you sell across state lines via website etc, you will need FDA registration at that time.  Your state inspector can help with all that.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
salsalady

salsalady said:
Start with your state's Department of Agriculture, they are usually the people who license food processors, not your local restaurant inspector.  Most states have pretty good information and application packets on their website.

If you are only selling from your restaurant (only selling within the state), you probably won't need FDA registration, depending on ingredients and such.  If you sell across state lines via website etc, you will need FDA registration at that time.  Your state inspector can help with all that.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
salsalady

Thanks! and yes, I am all over the PA DoA site and needless to say it is confusing and jargony. I may wind up just making a phone call to figure this out. I want to have zero problems when I roll this out so I'm not just going to wing it (pun intended). 

And thanks for the welcome wishes everyone. I love little forum communities like this. Once I figure this out I'll post my findings back here on the hopes that it might help others.

I'm excited to get this going and selling more of our in-house items. 

Salsa is on my list!! 

Matt

I received a response from the PA dept of ag. 

If I am selling only to customers in the restaurant, it is covered by my current license and I only need to speak to the local inspector in my borough. Good news.

If i want to sell online or outside the restaurant (farmer's markets, other businesses etc) then I would need to register with the state as a Food Establishment and possibly with the FDA. If things go well with in-house sales, I'll look into this.

Matt

That's great news.  Thanks for sharing what is relevant to you in PA.  Every state, and even within the state, regs are different.  Start in the restaurant, see where it goes~~~

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
SL

Back