• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bottom Leaves drooping

If a plant needs to be watered, are the very bottom leaves the first to droop?

I'm asking because the last time I waited 6 days between watering Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, a few of the very bottom leaves started to droop, but the rest of the leaves looked fine. Now, it has been 5 days sonce the last watering and I am noticing the same pattern.

I've never paid that much attention. Usually mine are lying down by the time I realize they've dried out. I would venture a guess that the plant would want to protect the new growth and start with shutting off the flow to the oldest (and potentially biggest) leaves first.

But I really have no idea what I'm talking about and haven't even had a beer yet.

Sounds like it needs to be watered. Yes, bottom leaves will droop first as they are usually larger in size and older

It is a 5 gallon bucket. I just watered again. It appears to me that as the roots get bigger, the plant soaks up water faster.

Do you have peat moss in your soil? If you're letting it dry for that long at a time, it might have a problem re-wetting. If that's the case, consider a wetting agent? From what you're saying, it seems like your plant just needs to be watered from the bottom every six or so days. Yours is doing better than mine, the little diva wilts after three days without water. Gotta start weaning it off the frequent waterings.

It was a watering sisue, as now the bottom leaves are back to normal. I need to check my soil label to see if it has Peat Moss.

Back