• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Bottom watering...Why?

Why is bottom watering recommended for seedlings, or is it? I already understand the issues related to damping off, but a decent fan blowing should prevent that, no? Any other reason(s) to bottom water?

It also encourages roots to grow down more to reach water. If you water from the top, the roots don't need to grow to get water. Strong roots means strong plants!

And as far as I understand, a fan alone won't stop damping off if your soil is too wet.

Damage limitation bro!

They say it's better and probably is, but I top water my seedlings. I've been lucky, I got dampening off on
one seedling a year or two ago.

I'm not sold on it. In my opinion, if the pot is too large for the plant, bottom wattering can do more harm than good by keeping the soil below the roots soaked, you are just asking for a case of root rot.

On the other hand, for little seedlings, it can be a good thing because it keets the top of the soil dry and this is good not only for damping off, but it also keeps fungus gnats from laying their eggs in the damp soil.

For me doing this is easier than watering each plant in a small cup when you have a lot of them to do. You still need to water from the top every 4 or 5 times to help flush out any salts that may build up.

I always bottom water and I love it. No fungus gnats and healthier roots. I do occasionally spray the top soil just around the stem just to get them to establish themselves after transplant.

,Vegas

If you use a really loose mix for your seedlings, bottom watering keeps the seeds and small seedlings from being knocked over or flushed out of the soil by a careless pouring of water on top.

Back