• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bought some good compost to start a new worm bin

I am fortunate enough to have a place about 15 or so miles away that sells bulk gardening supplies and they carry Diestel Structured Compost which I bought a 1/2 yd of today.
It's $98 a yard so it was a little over $52 for a half yard loaded into my pickup. I was told by a guru on another forum that this is some of the absolute best compost on the entire west coast which was news to me. Apparently it was tested by the people who did the microbe photos in the book, "Teaming With Microbes" and the results were off the charts so it must be good.
Diestel is a family owned organic, free range turkey ranch in Sonora, CA and I am told they have some of the best turkey money can buy. Very cool.
Can't wait to mix this up with some kelp, neem cake, Gaia Green rock dust and a little red lava rock (15%) and put it all in a 65 gallon Smart Pot and get these worms to really work it.
I should have 65 gallons of top quality vermicompost in 7-8 months I am hoping.

I'm sure the worms will help but given 7-8 months, if that's kept damp it will probably break down on its own except for the larger pieces.

miguelovic said:
Where are all the rocks and huge chunks of wood? That is how we tell good compost here abouts. Some people derogatorily refer to it as filler, I call it: price concious compost bulking material.

You must be settling for the bargain basement crap. Mine is fortified with rebar and real bits of traffic cone.

PFFFT!!! 

Don't settle for anything less than corroded drums of radioactive sludge!
The plants just love the extra iron!  ;)

PMD, isn't 7~8 months a few too many for next year's grow?

Geonerd said:

Don't settle for anything less than corroded drums of radioactive sludge!

I tried that route a few years back. All my peppers ended up being superhots. Come to think of it so did all my tomatoes and lettuce. Hmmm. I'm starting to think think those weren't all capsaicin burns in my mouth and on my fingers. and eyes and feet. Maybe I should have seen a doctor. Oh well. All the money I'm saving on reduced dentist and barber shop visits is saving me money I can spend on high-end compost and blood transfusions. Win-win!

Back