• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2016 Glog

Had a hard time following the weather reports here in NJ this year (actually didn't pay attention) and a frost killed the garden before I could dig up plants and bring them in to OW.  I did grow some peppers in containers so I decided to move the best of them inside.  Thus, I am OW'ing the following:

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate grown from seeds from Baker's.  This plant did well in the container but really never produced any pods.  If I can keep it alive, it will kick butt next season.
Habanero White Bullet grown form seeds from Juanito.  Got plenty of pods from this guy and I am happy to OW it.  Still plenty of pods on it and I plan on harvesting them.
Cayenne Red that I purchased from a local store.  This plant was large for a store bought plant and did great.  I am still getting pods off of it after moving it indoors.  I definitely need to prune it back once I harvest all of the pods off of it.
Aji Melocoton grown from seeds from Pepperlover.  This plant grew true, it was not one of the Aji Penec's that some folks got (including myself) that were mislabeled.  I pruned it way back and the plant still is going strong. I can't imagine an OW'd baccatum. This should be fun.
Some unknown variety purchased from a local store that was mislabeled.  I will post pictures of the pods if anyone wants to guess what it is.  Large pendant pods that grow up and mature red.
Masquerade.  This plant was in a display that was at my father-in-law's wake.  We kept the display and I will do my best to keep this plant going.  These pods go from green to dark purple to red and grow upwards.  Nice plant and it will be a nice memory.

Other than that, I did start some seeds today as a first wave kind of thing.  I am using Park's starters as my planting medium.  Each starter block contains 18 cells in a 3 x 6 layout.  I planted three cells of the following:

Block 1:  Lindberg Figueroa peppers
Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Rosita
Aji Rosita Rojo

Block 2: Seeds from peppers I grew or purchased.   The Thai Orange Large is from romy6.  The "Mel Unknown" are seeds from a pod a friend named Mel gave me.  He got the peppers from a trip to the Caribbean.  I have a picture somewhere of what a mature plant looks like and I will follow up with a post.
Thai Hot Ornamental
Thai Orange Large
Mel Unknown
Cumari Do Para
Peri Peri
Trotalino Amoraoso

Block 3: More seeds from plants I have grown in the past and a few from Wicked Mike's Seed Train from last season.
Aji Amarillo
Aji Colorado
Inca Red Drop
Criolla Sella
Guajillo
Birgit's Locoto

Not going with too many superhots up front.  Next rounds of seeds will get the superhots going.  I am liking the small hot pepper thing hence the Thai Hot Ornamental, the Cumari do Para and the Peri Peri.  I hope to get some CAP 691 seeds from Pepperlover.  Got some of them in a SFRB from Wicked Mike this season and I thought those peppers rocked.

Here is a pic of the Mel Unknown.  The plant grows very big it seems. I just have seeds. That is not a picture of any plant that I have.
5WVArEh.jpg

Ben

Wow, you put some thought into your seed selection.  Bullet, Cumari, Lindberg, Melo, Amarillo good picks.  I like the order of your peppers.  Block-style is what I associate with wine grapes.  haha.  I do like your pairings into 3 blocks.  Glad to see you are germinating the Lindberg set.  I have started some Cumari and tear drop peppers.   Superhots are fun and I will be selective this year.  Bahamian Goat and MoA Scotch Bonnets are high on my list along with Aleppo and Piment d'Espelette.

good luck!

Looking forward to following your progress. I did get the Lindberg seeds myself, but it'll be a while before I try to grow mine, not until February at the earliest I'm afraid. It'll be nice to see what you think of them.

Ben

Wow, you put some thought into your seed selection.  Bullet, Cumari, Lindberg, Melo, Amarillo good picks.  I like the order of your peppers.  Block-style is what I associate with wine grapes.  haha.  I do like your pairings into 3 blocks.  Glad to see you are germinating the Lindberg set.  I have started some Cumari and tear drop peppers.   Superhots are fun and I will be selective this year.  Bahamian Goat and MoA Scotch Bonnets are high on my list along with Aleppo and Piment d'Espelette.

good luck!
Thanks! I am just starting out this year a tad early, but I want to grow a lot. I did the Goats and the MoA's this past year and I love them. They will probably be in the list of "must grow every year". They are not too difficult to grow and are great producers. They look good and taste great!

Got some seeds germinatin'!

Here is a photo of all three Parks seed starters:
wSfvxZU.jpg

Next, we will peek in and see how everyone is doing:
First Group is the Lindberg Figueroa Peppers. Not a lot of action yet, but we see a Aji Jobito popping and some Aji Rosita Rojo in the last row.
uCylCR7.jpg

Next group we see action in every row but the "Mel Unknown's". Hopefully those seeds are good.
9ZPSZdR.jpg

Lastly we see lots of action except in the first row. Those Aji Amarillo seeds are taking their time.
I43IqvO.jpg

Sown 3 seeds of the following peppers today in a Park Seed 60 cell Bio Dome:

The Baccatum Dome:
Aji Ahuachapán
Aji Angelo
Aji Benito
Aji Calabaza PL
Aji Cito
Aji Golden
Aji Norteno
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Verde
Bishop's Crown
C02598
CAP 1220
Dedo de Moca
Jamy
Naranga
Peruvian Giallo Arancio
PI 199506
Pilange
Rainforest
Trepadeira Werner

Pictures to follow.  Too late this evening to take them.

Transplanted the 60 cell BioDome to pots. Here is a pic of how they looked like before the transplanting:

MgdNr2J.jpg

7 total cells didn't germinate, but at least one seed of each type germinated so I am starting to roll.

On the other Parks starters that I used, I did not get great germination. Here are the stats:
Aji Jobito, 2 out of three germinated and have been transplanted
Aji Llaneron, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Margariteno, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Pepon, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Rosita, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Rosita Rojo, 3 out of three germinated but one was a hammer head. Transplanted the hammer head under soil the other day and hoping it pops through.

Block 2:
Thai Hot Ornamental, 2 out of three germinated
Thai Orange Large, 3 out of 3 germinated
Mel Unknown, 0 out of 3 germinated. I am now going to try the old seeds wrapped in a paper towel trick. Hopefully I get a seed to pop.
Cumari Do Para, 2 out of 3 germinated
Peri Peri, 2 out of 3 germinated
Trotalino Amoraoso, 2 out of 3 germinated

Block 3:
Aji Amarillo, 0 out of 3 germinated. Ugh.
Aji Colorado, 1 out of 3 germinated.
Inca Red Drop, 3 out of 3 germinated.
Criolla Sella, 3 out of 3 germinated.
Guajillo, 3 out of 3 germinated.
Birgit's Locoto, 3 out of 3 germinated.

I finished up strong but overall, the Park's starters were not successful.

I will be setting up another Bio Dome 60 cell unit with chinense peppers and wild peppers in a day or so. Will post then once I finalize my list. Got a couple of seed trains coming in so that will effect what I plant.

bpiela said:
On the other Parks starters that I used, I did not get great germination. Here are the stats:
Aji Jobito, 2 out of three germinated and have been transplanted
Aji Llaneron, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Margariteno, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Pepon, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Rosita, 0 out of three germinated.
Aji Rosita Rojo, 3 out of three germinated but one was a hammer head. Transplanted the hammer head under soil the other day and hoping it pops through.

I'm a bit sad a lot of the Lindeberg seeds didn't germinate. Will you be planting more of them or were those all the seeds you had? 

Getting ready to start the chinense Bio Dome.  60 cells that I will break down into 20 groups of three cells.  I have so many peppers in this pepper family that I want to grow so I am thinking I might do another 60 cells soon.  I mean there are no regular MOA's or Datil's or Bahamian Goats and I have to grow them so more will have to follow.

This is what will go in the first Dome (Pepper Name, Seed Source):

Front Right
Arribbi Gusano, jcw10tc
Bhutlah Brown SLP, Scorched Seed Train
Bhutlah Chocolate, Wicked Mike Pepper
Bonda Ma Jacques, jcw10tc
Borg 9 Bleeding, Scorched Seed Train
C. Galapagoense, Fatalii.net (ok, not a chinense, but a wild that I need to get started)
CAP 691, Rainbow Chile Seeds
CGN 20800, Pepperlover
CGN 24360, Wicked Mike Pepper
Chupetinho, Seeds taken from plant purchased at Chileplants.com

Front Left:
Coyote Zan White, Texas Hot Pepper pepper
CPR, butcht.com
Cumari Pollux, Pepperlover (another wild)
Fatalii, Helvete's award winning Fatalii
Guyang Tragedy, Scorched Seed Train
Kpakpo Shito, Scorched Seed Train
Mystery Red, Scorched Seed Train 
Peito de Moca, Fatalii.net
Scotch Bonnet MOA Red, jcw10tc
Uncle Mike's Chocolate Delight, Scorched

These are getting sown this weekend, after I ship out the Scorched Seed Train to the next person on the ride.

bpiela said:
Sown 3 seeds of the following peppers today in a Park Seed 60 cell Bio Dome:

The Baccatum Dome:
Aji Ahuachapán
Aji Angelo
Aji Benito
Aji Calabaza PL
Aji Cito
Aji Golden
Aji Norteno
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Verde
Bishop's Crown
C02598
CAP 1220
Dedo de Moca
Jamy
Naranga
Peruvian Giallo Arancio
PI 199506
Pilange
Rainforest
Trepadeira Werner

Pictures to follow.  Too late this evening to take them.

NICE collection of Baccatums.  Good luck!

Baccatums are doing well.  All plants have survived transplanting.  The chinense seeds are still awaiting germination.  I came up with the following list of annuums to go in the next 60 cell BioDome (Pepper, Source):

Ancho/Poblano, MidWestChileHeads
Ancient Sweet, Scorched Seed Train 2015
Bob's Pickling, Pepperlover
Cayenne Mix, Got this packet of seeds from GrowOrganic.com.
Fresno, Wicked Mike's Seed Train from earlier 2015
Jalapeno Biker Billy, MidWestChileHeads
Jalapeno Farmer's Market, Pepperlover
Jalapeno Giant, Scorched Seed Train 2015
Jaloro, Seeds taken from plant purchased at Chileplants.com
NuMex Jalamundo, Chile Pepper Institute
NuMex Vaquero, Chile Pepper Institute
Onza, Hot Stuff Seed Train 2015
Prik Chi Faa, Wicked Mike Seed train 2015
Princess Faten, Pepperlover
Santa Fe Grande, Texas Hot Peppers
Serrano, MidWestChileHeads
Shishito, Wicked Mike's Seed Train
Super Chili, Scorched Seed Train
Thai Grex, Hot Stuff Seed Train
Vladan's Beauty F2, Rainbow Chile Seeds

Going for lots of Jalapeno types, some classics and mostly stuff from the Seed Trains.  I will still need to plant some Fruts as well.  Going crazy this year.  Should be fun.  

Haven't had any updates this year yet because I have run out of room.  I have a new shelf on order and it should be in next Monday.  I will get lights and then I should be ready for more stuff.  So far, there hasn't been much change.  The original baccatum's are doing fine with the low amount of light they have been receiving.  They are not growing too large.  The Chinense's are ready to transplant to pots as are the annuums.  I will be starting one more group of seeds that will include frutescens varieties and some of the cool crosses that I have received.  I will have decent photos next week once all are under lights.

Latest updates.  I lost a number of seedlings while waiting on the new shelves.  I got the shelves in.  Here is a crappy pic next to my original shelves with the OW's.  One side note is that I know what the "mystery" OW is now.  I am a dummy.  I have not been around many standard peppers to know what they all are.  I am embarrassed to say that the "unknown" OW is a Fresno.  Still popping out peppers so I am happy.

mHamSGA.jpg

I am ready to transplant both my chinense seedlings and my annuum seedlings from their respective BioDomes.  Here is a pic of the chinense Bio Dome before transplanting:

LmKgUE2.jpg

Some of my chinense didn't pop.  4 varieties, in fact, didn't germinate.  Two varieties, the CPR and the Kpakpo Shito only had one seed germinate.  The 4 that didn't are the CAP 691, Cumari Pollux, Guyang Tragedy, and the Peito de Moca.  I will try the paper towel method on these varieties to see if I can get anything.

In the annuum Dome, I got close to 100% germination.  The Princess Faten did not germinate but everything else did.

I have noticed one of my Aji Rosita Rojos is looking pretty bad.  Here is a couple of pics:

2Y7URBg.jpg

D45b71K.jpg

Not sure if I am giving too much nutes?  I do transplant into MG Potting Soil which has nutes already and I have been bumping up the water with a light addition of 20-20-20.  

Back