• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2016 Glog

Had a hard time following the weather reports here in NJ this year (actually didn't pay attention) and a frost killed the garden before I could dig up plants and bring them in to OW.  I did grow some peppers in containers so I decided to move the best of them inside.  Thus, I am OW'ing the following:

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate grown from seeds from Baker's.  This plant did well in the container but really never produced any pods.  If I can keep it alive, it will kick butt next season.
Habanero White Bullet grown form seeds from Juanito.  Got plenty of pods from this guy and I am happy to OW it.  Still plenty of pods on it and I plan on harvesting them.
Cayenne Red that I purchased from a local store.  This plant was large for a store bought plant and did great.  I am still getting pods off of it after moving it indoors.  I definitely need to prune it back once I harvest all of the pods off of it.
Aji Melocoton grown from seeds from Pepperlover.  This plant grew true, it was not one of the Aji Penec's that some folks got (including myself) that were mislabeled.  I pruned it way back and the plant still is going strong. I can't imagine an OW'd baccatum. This should be fun.
Some unknown variety purchased from a local store that was mislabeled.  I will post pictures of the pods if anyone wants to guess what it is.  Large pendant pods that grow up and mature red.
Masquerade.  This plant was in a display that was at my father-in-law's wake.  We kept the display and I will do my best to keep this plant going.  These pods go from green to dark purple to red and grow upwards.  Nice plant and it will be a nice memory.

Other than that, I did start some seeds today as a first wave kind of thing.  I am using Park's starters as my planting medium.  Each starter block contains 18 cells in a 3 x 6 layout.  I planted three cells of the following:

Block 1:  Lindberg Figueroa peppers
Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Rosita
Aji Rosita Rojo

Block 2: Seeds from peppers I grew or purchased.   The Thai Orange Large is from romy6.  The "Mel Unknown" are seeds from a pod a friend named Mel gave me.  He got the peppers from a trip to the Caribbean.  I have a picture somewhere of what a mature plant looks like and I will follow up with a post.
Thai Hot Ornamental
Thai Orange Large
Mel Unknown
Cumari Do Para
Peri Peri
Trotalino Amoraoso

Block 3: More seeds from plants I have grown in the past and a few from Wicked Mike's Seed Train from last season.
Aji Amarillo
Aji Colorado
Inca Red Drop
Criolla Sella
Guajillo
Birgit's Locoto

Not going with too many superhots up front.  Next rounds of seeds will get the superhots going.  I am liking the small hot pepper thing hence the Thai Hot Ornamental, the Cumari do Para and the Peri Peri.  I hope to get some CAP 691 seeds from Pepperlover.  Got some of them in a SFRB from Wicked Mike this season and I thought those peppers rocked.

Here is a pic of the Mel Unknown.  The plant grows very big it seems. I just have seeds. That is not a picture of any plant that I have.
5WVArEh.jpg

Glad to see you're getting to pull some goodies ;)

And yes, the tomatoes are a critter favorite :tear:  This year I covered them with bird netting, that or lose 50% due to small holes they peck in them. Just why do they hit one, with one peck, and then move to another? To piss me off?

Very nice grow !

Im especially interested how "Aji Margarentino" and "Rosita Rojo" will taste like.

I have seeds, but im still undecided if i grow them next year.

Haven't updated in awhile.  Start out with some harvesting.

Got this out of my garden at home.
o5d0CZ0.jpg

Highlights are in the top right there are two giant Chocolate Trinidad Scorpions, 4 Aji Rosita Rojo, a Lemon Lime Trinidad Scorpion.  Some mysteries are that group of red pods in the lower right which were labelled as Habalokia Peach Lavalamp, the group of yellow pods in the center of the pic which were labelled as Dong Xuan Market.  In the lower left area, there are some peach colored pods that I got off a cross that I grew from seeds from Juanitos last year.  Last year, the pods were red and slightly larger.

Here is a pic of some pods I got from the garden at my sister's house:
PGS1378.jpg

Some notes about these pods.  The long Kung Pao crosses at top are much longer than the other plants I have from these seeds.  In the second row, I have a couple of really nice Scotch Brains from seeds from Juanitos.  Those red pods in the middle were labelled Bonda Ma Jacques.  The plant in my garden at home is producing the right color on these.  The yellow pods in the middle there are supposed to be Trinidad Perfumes.  I thought those were supposed to be mild.  Not so.  Those smooth yellow pods next to them were labelled Krootown which I received from the Scorched Seed Train.  The plant in my garden at home is producing the proper pod color and shape but these are some crazy cross.

Here are some close up pics of some pods:
The Chocolate Trinidad Scorpions:
lxbnh80.jpg

The Scotch Brains
nsc8p3g.jpg

1vMElm5.jpg

Here is a sliced up Trinidad Perfume.  Lots of oil.  These were hot. 
7Iw0zcM.jpg

A pic of my Amazzo.  A cluster of pods.
yVjByzC.jpg

Here is a pic of my Vladan's Beauties all ripening up.
6ynVT5i.jpg

And here is a pic of my PI 543208, another teardrop shaped pod.
qT9OwYp.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with how everything has turned out.  I am experiencing some problems in the garden at my home that I will post pics on soon. 

August 7th update of the whole garden at home.  The plants overall are looking less green.  The leaves are getting lighter.  Do I need to hit the garden up with a high nitrogen fert?  Starting from one end to the other, here is a first pic.  The plants closer to me are looking lighter. [Side Note.  Time to do some cleaning on the garage there.  Yikes!]
jfA1A1u.jpg

Next row, you can see some real yellowing about mid way up.  That is a Thai Orange Large. 
EeQ1Ua7.jpg

Next row over, more leaf discoloration:
nXVuDXD.jpg

This is my row of baccatums.  They seem to be fine but I feel could be greaner
yC0h9Mu.jpg

Annuums.  Some plants on the left side there are not doing well.
VuYKd2D.jpg

And a couple pics of some plants not doing too well in containers. 
Here is my lone Galapagoense.  There are actually a couple of pods on it.  It was doing well until recently.  Any thoughts?
vuq3Pv0.jpg

Next to my Galapagoense are my Blue Mysteries.  Serious leaf discoloration here.
6uQKnAI.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Love the way the Scotch Brains turned out!  About the galapagoense, they can be fickle.  I've had plants in the past that were super robust and great producers, and others that barely spat out a few measly pods.  Must the variation that comes with being a wild pepper as opposed to a more predictable domesticated species.  That's my guess.

Hi again Ben.
In your last picture, to me it looks like there could be a mg deficiency. I notice the dark green veins is a sign of it.
I would hit them with some usual ferts like others have suggested maybe a little more of the nitrogen and Epsom salt, imho.

On a side note im also growing criolla sella and inca red drop that i got seeds from you on the seed train. For me, the criolla sella has TONS of seeds.

Looking good!

I guess you're having mid season nute deficiency. I would not go with heavy N, just use a well rounded fert. When I need quick results I use a liquid, as it works fast. I use Hasta Gro. Probably not available up your way, it seems to be local. As the factory is in the next town. I use a full strength mix in watering and a 1/2 strength mix when using a foilar application. Mornings only with foilar, so there's no burn. Tomato Tone has been on sale here lately, it's down to $5 for 8lb's, so that's half price. My kinda sale. So I bought a "bhut" load. I'm just now trying it out.

Devv said:
Looking good!

I guess you're having mid season nute deficiency. I would not go with heavy N, just use a well rounded fert. When I need quick results I use a liquid, as it works fast. I use Hasta Gro. Probably not available up your way, it seems to be local. As the factory is in the next town. I use a full strength mix in watering and a 1/2 strength mix when using a foilar application. Mornings only with foilar, so there's no burn. Tomato Tone has been on sale here lately, it's down to $5 for 8lb's, so that's half price. My kinda sale. So I bought a "bhut" load. I'm just now trying it out.

"bhut "  load !   I like it !    :rofl:

Forgot to post this over the weekend.  I picked a bunch of pods from plants that I have in containers.

4Yx8m4O.jpg

What I got here are:
Top Row: Aji Rosita Red, Aji Marguariteno, Aji Jobito
Middle: Kung Pao Cross, CGN 24360, Aji Painapple
Bottom: 3 singulars (one is unlabeled, and then Aji Golden and a Mystery Red), White Bullet Habs, CGN 20800

Need to pick tons from the garden.  Will post pics soon.

Can't keep up.  I got the following:

EzYbQph.jpg

We got a pile of Blue Mystery in the upper left and a pile of small Thai-ish peppers (combo of Thai Hot ornamental, Prik Kee Noo Suan, Zimbabwe Bird) in the upper right.  Below is a bunch of Peruvian Serlanos.  Nice....

And here is the basket full.  there are just a bunch of layers of peppers there.  I need to freeze them for now. 
WbBpoiR.jpg

Hi Ben, wanted to know if you are over wintering your  C.Galapagense?  I had an accident with my c. Lanceolatum plant..strong winds from
Hurricane Hermine,a while back.blew it off the front porch..so I took the few stems that broke off  & place them in water& they have all rooted ;) which I am delighted to see..now I have more plants,& will over winter.
I wondered if you would consider trying & rooting a piece or 2..that is one hard seed to germinate.
Love those wilds.

wiriwiri said:
Hi Ben, wanted to know if you are over wintering your  C.Galapagense?  I had an accident with my c. Lanceolatum plant..strong winds from
Hurricane Hermine,a while back.blew it off the front porch..so I took the few stems that broke off  & place them in water& they have all rooted ;) which I am delighted to see..now I have more plants,& will over winter.
I wondered if you would consider trying & rooting a piece or 2..that is one hard seed to germinate.
Love those wilds.

I think I will.  The plant didn't produce well for me this year, but I also didn't do the best job keeping it healthy at all times.  It is looking much better now.  I will post some pics later.  Thanks for the motivation!  :party:

Here is a pic from this past weekend.  More peppers from the plants in my sister's garden. Those plants get 100% sun all day and they have just been producing like crazy.  Things of note are the pile of frutescens at the lower bottom.  They are Cabai Burung Undu.  That pile is 375 little tabasco like peppers.  I probably have twice as much still on the plant that are still in the "purple" stage.  At the top there is a small pile of cucamelons.  Cool little things.  Also, three purple bells sitting next to an eggplant.  Not many eggplants this year.  No biggie.  Too many peppers to know what to do with.  I will be attempting the Alabama Jack puree this week with all the yellow peppers. 

pBCX6XA.jpg

Back