1 Head of Garlic
1 red apple
1 pear
tbl korean shrimp paste, very important
4 red brain strain peppers
2 tbl of red brain strain powder, mixed with water to make a paste
1 tbl fish sauce
pickling salt

Cut cabbage into large chunks and sprinkle salt over. Place in a large bowl and let sit for 4 hrs to remove the water from the cabbage. After 4 hrs remove cabbage from bowl and you can rinse the salt off with water of leave on. I left mine on. Grate carrots, mince the garlic, and i use a micro plane on my ginger. Mix with the cabbage. Add the chile paste, fish sauce, sliced onion, chopped chiles, shrimp paste. I like to take the apple and pear, peeled and chopped, into a food processor with some water and blend. Add this to the bowl and mix all ingredients. I let mine ferment for about 3 days on the counter, opening the lid of my jar daily to release the pressure. After about 3 weeks in the fridge this stuff is so complex in flavor and very hot at the end.

Attachments

• P9280174.JPG
    P9280174.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 87
Your kimchi looks good. The only thing missing from a traditional standpoint is the red color. Korean Gochus are pretty mild... somewhere between hot paprika and a jalapeno, so they use a whole cup of red pepper powder to 5 pounds of cabbage. They also make the paste by cooking a tablespoon of sticky rice flour in a cup of water and stirring the pepper powder into the rice flour paste along with any other seasonings like salted shrimp, anchovy paste, chopped oysters, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, etc.

Back