• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Brain Strain pictorial dissection and review

Last year i started a brain strain, but it did not grow one pod at all! I decided to overwinter it just for the heck of it. Well it paid off! The overwinter is producing lots of brain strain pods. Here is a review of my own homegrown brain strain pod.

Here is the overwintered brain strain
P1020857.jpg

side shot of the pod
P1020952.jpg

under the pod
P1020950.jpg

compared to a quarter
P1020958.jpg

Now time to open her up! As soon as i sliced it, there was so much oil coming out. Made BP look like spilled milk.
P1020961.jpg

a close up
P1020962.jpg

keeps on leaking
P1020966.jpg

can you see the drops?
P1020967.jpg

anyways, i ate 1/2 of a 1/4 slice hehe, and when i chewed it was not bad but after 30 seconds the burn just got worse and my tongue was on fire. Just like the pods i got from Cappy last year. Great taste and awesome heat! No metallic taste like the scorpions i've tried. I think i'll be making a mango-pineapple-brain strain hot sauce with what is left from that one pod :)

Hope you enjoyed the pics and review.

Great job, such a beautiful pepper. I just put 5 Brain Strains in the ground between yesterday and today, can't wait to experience it myself. I think I'll also be overwintering my strongest plant too.

Unbelievable looking pepper my friend. Good call on only eating 1/8th. I didn't get my taste back for two days after a small BS. I bet that sauce will be awesome. Post some pics and a review of how that works for you too!

MGOLD86, SocalChilehead, Yumyumyellow, Beaglestorm, Beehunter,
Thanks all for the kind words!

Wow. That sucker looks mean. The visible oil is amazing.

Yea, i love the oil spill. Didn't think it would be that much.

Pretty incredible. I hope mine produces some fruit!

Thanks, good luck to you too!

Great job, such a beautiful pepper. I just put 5 Brain Strains in the ground between yesterday and today, can't wait to experience it myself. I think I'll also be overwintering my strongest plant too.

Thanks, yea, it is a waiting game. I think i waited a month at least for it to become red. Funny thing is, this plant did not produce anything the first year.

should cut up 2 more over a glass and drink the oil
i DARE you!!! ha!

Now that is a good idea! Collect all the oils from all the cut peppers. I think i'll try that.

I wont be surprised to see a BrainStrain get hottest pepper. Those things are GNARLY! and yours are no exception im sure.

Yea, i'm sure its the hottest out there. I haven't tried a mouruga yet, but i read around that brains strain is a mouruga. Not sure though.

Nice move on overwintering that thing, definately paid off. Those things are in your mouth. Great looking pod.

Aaron

Thanks, yea i'm stoked that this plant gave me something this year. Much more pain coming soon :)

That cutting board is going to be leaving a few hot returns for a while

Its a cutting board dedicated to cutting only peppers, so no danger of cross contamination with other foods.

Unbelievable looking pepper my friend. Good call on only eating 1/8th. I didn't get my taste back for two days after a small BS. I bet that sauce will be awesome. Post some pics and a review of how that works for you too!

Thanks, last year i tried 1/4 of a pod from Cappy, i was running to get rid of the heat!

Maybe a wooden cutting board wasn't the right choice :-)

Its ok, when its off season i can just sniff the board to remember the good times of sprint/summer :) Its dedicated to just peppers so no problems with cross contaminating the heat to other foods. :)

I keep finding myself back on this page staring at your brain...you dissected it with such surgical precision. Looks so painfully beautiful.

Wood cutting boards ROCK!

In times of pepper shortages you can cut up your salsa ingredients or other stuff on it and still get a taste of the good stuff.
Especially if you cut up a juicey tomato...

I don't see any down side.
If you are jonesing for some heat and the ripe pods are history until the plants put out again,you can lick the board. :)

I think my wood cutting board just needs to be waved over stuff to add heat.
You need a hazmat suit just to get near it.

I've actually ran hot water over it into my dutch oven to make what I was going to cook have some heat.Using the rinse water as an ingredient.
A wood cutting board is insurance against bland food.

Back