• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Breaking News !

:rolleyes: Next we'll see the New Mexico Pepper Police! :banghead:
SWAT teams making raids on supermarkets, food stands, and fast food joints.
Arrests of sellers and confiscation of chili pods that lack proper 'documentation' .. ...

" This law does not product the other very popular New Mexico-grown pepper - the jalapeño."

surely the writer meant protect instead of product.............

What I don't understand is that if this is a New Mexico law, how are they going to enforce it in other states?....

What about all the NuMex varieties, will they have to re-name them for people growing them outside of NewMexico, or is "NuMex" alright to use?

Just like Vidalia onions, same concept.

Protecting their interest, almight dollar. More marketing.

Pretty sad when marketing invades our nation's laws.

Hmm.... or is this more like the law in the one state, where it's actually illegal to take an alligator into the bathtub with you?

Wow. Just what we need, more laws. I know that 'Hatch' chiles are technically chiles grown in that region,
much like 'Champagne' is grown in that region in France. If it was produced anywhere else, it must be called 'Sparkling Wine'.
I've been eating New Mexicos my whole life, and the ones I get, are grown right here in WA.
So, what now? Rename the chiles that have been called New Mexicos forever?
What will happen when California gets wind of this? The California chiles will need to be renamed also?
Whoot! Another law....

They've also tried protecting the jalapeno in Mexico, the Chimayo in NewMexico, and the Scotch bonnet in Jamaica, but is it working?

You got it ! :party: And it's also the place convicted dealers of the illicit chili cartels will serve hard time - working the chili fields.
Next comes regulation of home chili growing; permits to grow non New Mexico developed species. Choppers taking pictures monitoring backyard pepper plots and permits required for pepper growing. :eek: Surprise garden inspections by ‘grow police, and plants taken for DNA analysis.

Hmm..i could be wrong. There was a whole controversy over Tennessee Vs Kentucky whiskeys though...I just looked at the laws surrounding bourbon, and while it's widely accepted that it must come from the US, couldn't find anything about having to be from KY.

The spelling of Whiskey Vs Whisky is regional though.

George Jones said you're as "Smooth as Tennessee Whiskey"...you're as sweet as strawberry wine...you're as warm as a glass of brandy...and I stay STONED on your love all the time...

so I'll trust George...

Back