• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Breeding a New Pepper Variety Color - Just a few questions

I plan on breeding a pepper variety that is red to try to get a peach variation of it.

Does anyone have more information from experience on doing this?

I would think staying within the family.

Capsicum annuum, with the current Capsicum annuumit would make a quicker breed. (Do you know of one currently that is stable peach color?)

I plan on growing out about 20 plants and picking from those 20 of the F1 to get the shape/color that I want, and then from there I will try to mass grow out more to refine it.

I guess if I can't find a peach annuum I will use a c.chinense

thanks for any info.

All the f1s should grow the same, its the f2 stage on where you have to really grow out lots of plants and select only the most desirable for seed saving. I don't think this project will be easy, I can't even really think of any peach colored annuums. I've bred some peach colored chinenses but it was more luck than anything else.

I might have to breed the c.chinense to it and just pick the peppers with the traits of the annum.

I can only try.

thanks for clarifying I should have though about the F1 being the same, I havn't had breeding on my mind lately and forgot.

thanks.

The F1 will all be the same only if you are starting with 2 true breeding parents (lots of homogeneity). if one or both of the parents has a high degree of heterogeneity (like an F1 hybrid) then your first generation can be very diverse.

No they should be very true... I'm using heirloom type of seed that should have been saved for years with no crossing..

I will grow 4 plants just in case to see the diversity between them

I'm hoping for 4 plants that look identical but I want to rule out the stated chance of hybrid crosses.

I'm hoping to dwarf a few generations to try to get replanted sooner. and check on color. The plants I will be testing with have some very unique characteristics so early on I should have a good idea on how good they are going. Plus they flower very quick I will just pick all but 1 of the flowers off and grow 2 peppers a small plant to grow 365 a year

I'm sure it will be tons of work but worth it.

thanks for the link it will come in handy.

please pay attention to numbers here
if you want to get diversity the more seeds the better chance

please consider 200 is a "small" number of seeds or plants looking for
diverse traits ( i.e. MUTATIONS) if you grow only

a few seeds you only get a very slim chance at a desired trait

even if the 'breed' you are working with has a lot of diversity you have to grow many rather than just a few

please keep us informed on progress

Back