• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Breeding question

So, I've fantasized about breeding my own line of chili, and someday I just might. I have a question, and most likely will have more in the future, so I figured I should start a thread where I can ask.

When crossing two strains, does it matter which is the mother and father? For example, if I wanted to breed a Yellow Jalapeno, would I use the Jalapeno parent as a mother, and a yellow strain for the father, or vice versa? Does it make a difference?

From what I understand each has a chance to produce slightly different offspring. Worth doing it both ways and comparing the offspring.

Either way, its going to be at least half a decade before your dream is realized.

Oh yeah, I know it'll take a long freakin time before any result worth bragging about will be had, but I'm ok with that. I like long projects. I just want to make sure I get it right.

yellow 7 pod would make a good yellow parent :)

Yes it would, but according to the literature posted above crossing a c. Chinense with a c. Annum wouldn't work out so well.

If this is true though, why do I remember reading about Bhut Jolokia having both Chinense and annum ancestry?

Yes it would, but according to the literature posted above crossing a c. Chinense with a c. Annum wouldn't work out so well.

If this is true though, why do I remember reading about Bhut Jolokia having both Chinense and annum ancestry?

I believe Bhut's have Chinense and Frutescens ancestry, not Annum.

If crossed pollinated..wouldn't the F1 pods resemble more of the host plant that was used. Being the host plant is that plant that produced the F1 pods. The host plant would then be 'mommy'.

The answer is of course yes and no :)
It doesn't matter which is mom and dad because the offspring will get a random half of each of the parents genes anyway.

BUT in rare cases it does matter. As already mentioned it is important when you're crossing between species. As whith a horse and a donkey.
Also the offspring recieves their chloroplasts from their mother. Let's say the stripes/white patches in a "fish" pepper is due to a mutation in the chloroplasts. I don't know. It could be? :D
Then, in a cross the white trait would only be inherited to the offspring if "fish" is the mother, not if fish is the father.
But this is not relevant for the question so sorry for spamming.

It doesn't matter which is mom and dad because the offspring will get a random half of each of the parents genes anyway.

Then, in a cross the white trait would only be inherited to the offspring if "fish" is the mother, not if fish is the father.
eh, this seems kind of contradictory.

eh, this seems kind of contradictory.
I know...

So is
The answer is of course yes and no :)

The whole point is that in most crosses it's completely unimportant which is the mother and which is the father. The exceptions are
1 if you're crossing between species
2 if one of the parents has a mutation in the chloroplasts. Chloroplast mutations aren't interesting since they so rare. Actually it's the same with mitochondrial genes. It could happen, but it won't :D

This is why it doesn't matter which way you cross as long the plants are of the same species.

They cross fine. I have habanero x bell hybrids.

If crossed pollinated..wouldn't the F1 pods resemble more of the host plant that was used. Being the host plant is that plant that produced the F1 pods. The host plant would then be 'mommy'.

No, it splits 50/50.

I believe Bhut's have Chinense and Frutescens ancestry, not Annum.

Yeah, they have frutescens dna. They could of crossed though. You have to make frutescens the mother when crossing with c.chinese. The opposite doesn't work. The same with c. baccatum.

I don't know if there is an equivalent in plant genetics, but I know when you cross tigers and lions it makes a difference. The genetic code which tells a tiger to stop growing is contained in the father, so if the father is a lion and the mother is a tiger, then the resultant offspring will continue to grow it's whole life with nothing to turn it off. It could be the other way around as far as the parents, but the point is there is the possibility that the male genes could contain a certain marker that a female might not, and vice versa (though probably not as drastic as the above example).
Now if you cross a Panthera tigris with c. chinense...

I would like to change the color. How to for begin?

It depends on what color. You select a pepper of the color you want and cross it with one you want to be a different color. Red is dominant (brown seems to be dark red), so you should expect to see red show if you use a red pepper in the mix. Say you mixed red and yellow. Most of the offspring from the F1 plant will be red and only a few will be yellow and possibly another color. I don't know the percentage that would be yellow in this example. I think your odds of getting a yellow pepper are ok with 16 plants.

Back