• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Brewing compost tea nad organic garden - {i thought i'd share this}

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17097

This is the forum I'm on I'm starting to go organic as its cheap and better for the plants and soil. But I'm not going fully organic with my peppers but i am doing so with all the other stuff. Peppers i'll apply all chemical fertilizer by foliar feed and organics as a soil drench as i'll be growing in pots and the guys said it Okay as a pot is an artificial environment anyway so no biggie.

so for all of you who would love to have the joy of beneficial microbes ,read the thread { or else !!!}.

I've been using compost tea on my maters and I can see a huge difference in just a couple of days. But, I do not add molasses - one article said it *might* cause e. coli in the fruit.

In both my grow room upstairs and in the GH, I have a bucket where I put leaves that get trimmed, weeds that grow, some brown leaves from the yard. Every once in a while, I add a bit of potting mix that is left over from transplanting seedlings. I mix my own ferts - dissolve Tomato-Tone fertilizer in water. Maybe once every two-three weeks, I pour maybe a pint over the compost mix and let it slowly drain.

Upstairs, I use the same type of ferts on seedling trays. Over time, a bit of mix gets into the water and when the tub gets close to being out of water, I pour what is left over the compost up there.

Once I get a couple of quarts of tea, I pour it over the compost again, which by that time has much more rotting material. The water drains slower this way, but seems to soak up more goodies! Repeat until I have a gallon or two of it, which gets poured into 2 liter pop bottles and a lid placed loosely on it.

A few days before I plan on adding the tea to the plants, I pour the contents of the bottles into a different bucket and aerate it.

Mike

Like? I'm obsessive about composting. I let the family know I was not a happy camper because someone ate a banana and did not save the peel! Let weeds grow a bit in the garden (as long as they are not close to a plant) until they get big enough to add to the compost pile. The mower I'm buying in the spring will have a bagger so I can collect grass trimmings and I save bags of leaves from the fall to add to the grass and weeds in summer.

Something else I have recently started to do is add a small amount of semi-decomposed compost toward the bottom of plant containers, mixing it with the dirt/potting mix. It seems to continue to break down while the plant is growing and helps both fertilize the soil and retain a bit of moisture so I do not have to water as frequently.

It's too bad it took me until last year to remember something I learned 50 years ago. Dad raised tobacco, a crop that sucks a fair amount of nuits from the ground. Every fall, we would sow winter wheat and in the spring, when it was at least knee-high, he would plow the ground and turn all the foliage under. By the time we transplanted plants two months later, all that foliage was well on its way to being completely rotted but gave us bunches of nearly free fertilizer.

Mike

u know wordwizz, i use a method similar to what ur saying with the decomposed compost. Every 2 inches or so when i pot up , i add a layer of greens , it could bee some banana peels or an avocado skin or some leaves and i do this until the top then i transplant. iT works awesome . its compost in a pot. How ever with seedling the pots small so i say a small layer of green ( half a bannana peel) in the middle of the pot.

Back