• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Bright Red and Dangerously Hot

Bought these at a farmer's market last year, but were only listed as "Hot Peppers" I saved the seeds from a few to try and grow next year. Not sure if they were a cross or an heirloom. My first thought was Bhut Jolokia, but the skin seems too smooth, then I thought a Peter Pepper but the tip has a point. Any help Identifying these would be much appreciated
02BEWdx.jpg

I suspected that, because it has the "foreskin" like a Peter Pepper but I'd never seen one pointed, even googling it they're all round. That's good news, because I think Peter Peppers are heirlooms.

They are I believe Indian Naga Jolokia's - I am growing red and yellow varieties this year of them.  However the way there bulbous into a point makes me think they cold be a Scorpion cross also.. ??

The left ones look like Indian Naga Jolokias. the right ones look like a Butch T cross or similar !!

KrakenPeppers said:
They are I believe Indian Naga Jolokia's - I am growing red and yellow varieties this year of them.  However the way there bulbous into a point makes me think they cold be a Scorpion cross also.. ??

The left ones look like Indian Naga Jolokias. the right ones look like a Butch T cross or similar !!
I just do not see those randomly appearing at a farmers market. 

Google some images of Jim Weaver's Lightning Habanero -- according to one review, they're considerably hotter than regular habs. They come in several colors, and are considered a Heritage strain. The pictures i viewed were nigh-identical to your picture.

Note: Semillas Seeds offers a Lightning Habanero, but it only displays a yellow color, and the pods are both more pointy-tailed and have a sharper more jagged zigzag growth pattern.

Also, the calyces of your picture's pods look like those of a C. chinense, but i think the Peter Pepper is a C. annuum, with a wider bulkier calyx.

mikeg said:
Google some images of Jim Weaver's Lightning Habanero -- according to one review, they're considerably hotter than regular habs. They come in several colors, and are considered a Heritage strain. The pictures i viewed were nigh-identical to your picture.

Note: Semillas Seeds offers a Lightning Habanero, but it only displays a yellow color, and the pods are both more pointy-tailed and have a sharper more jagged zigzag growth pattern.

Also, the calyces of your picture's pods look like those of a C. chinense, but i think the Peter Pepper is a C. annuum, with a wider bulkier calyx.

Oddly enough, I googled Jim Weaver's Lightning Habanero and upon reading, realized he operates about 15 minutes from where I live.

Back