• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Brined bacon wrapped tukey breast

Last week we were at the store and turkey breast were on sale so we picked up one.

Yesterday I brined it 

6 cups water
2 cup apple cider
1 chicken bullion cube
1 ts all spice berried
1 tsp black pepper corns
1/4 cu each kosher salt and brown sugar

Put all but the cider in a  pot and bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cool to room temp stir in the the cider and drop in the breast for 4 to 24 hours. I went about 12 hours.

Last evening I drained the liquid and let the breast air dry uncovered in the fridge.

This morning I deboned it and weaved together a mat of bacon and broke out the Tony Chactere's Cajun seasoning.

BRT1.jpg

A liberal coat of seasoning on both the front and back of the turkey

BRT2.jpg

Fold the outer piece under the breast to give it a nice uniform shape

BRT3.jpg

Pace skin side down on the bacon weave and fold up the sides of the foil.  

BRT4.jpg

Roll the breast into a aluminum pan as you peel away the foil then tuck any remaining bacon straggles under the breast and shape it into a nice uniform oval

BRT5.jpg

Lighting the BGE with w $9 Harbor Freight heat gun. This has been the most effective means to light that I've found. In the past I've used alcohol, propone torches, wax blocks etc. 

BRT6.jpg

Using the heat gun to light the Amazing pellet tray

BRT7.jpg

BGE set up with remote smoke box and stabilizing to 300 degrees

BRT8.jpg

Out of the smoker and covered with foil to rest while the stuffing cooks

BRT9.jpg

Dinner is served. Turkey was tender juicy and delicious. 

BRT10.jpg

Hey, that looks awesome!
We have a BGE but I didnt see the remote smoke box in the accessory catalog!!!!!! :party:
That's a good idea
Let us know how it turns out.

The "mailbox mod" is a staple amongst Masterbuilt electric smoker users. In conjunction with the Amazing pellets tray it works at treat for adding the right  amount of smoke and one trayful will last around 12 hours. Where it really shines is cold smoking. If you distance the smoke source from the body of the smoker it'll do two (2) things.

1. Allow the smoke to cool 
2 Allow creosote to drop out of the smoke before it hits the smoker so only nice clean flavorful smoker touch the edibles. 

I use three (3) 3" stove pipe 90 being me about 3 linear feet from the smoke source to the meat/cheese. Some separate by u to 10 feet. The longer the distance the more creosote will drop out (within reason) I think 10 feet is excessive. 

Back