• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Brined prime rib. Really? Anyone done it? Good?bad?

salsalady

Business Member
Listening on the radio while driving, I heard a butcher shop in the next valley over has made to order brined prime rib roasts with 5 days notice.

Anyone done this???

Wet brine, don't, I never wet brine beef, just lean pork or chicken.

Dry brine and/or injection is the way to go for subprimals.
Steaks and other cuts up to 4" thick can be simply dry brined,

For a whole prime rib,
24hrs before cooking inject with a simple brine of 1T Kosher salt per cup of water.

I am not a fan a of the texture change that even happens with dry brining beef. A flavoured seasoned injection just before cooking is pretty awesome though, it limits the time that the salt can denature proteins in the raw beef.

texas blues said:
Wet or dry?

Its a rib roast.

There are 10,000 opinions on how to do it.

Just cook it slow.

Salt and pepper only.

In the end.

It doesn't really matter.

Because.

Your wife's family.

Is going to put ketchup on it anyway.
No ketchup, but they will make noises about any trace of pink. I refuse to cook steak for them anymore but don't mind doing roast. I just reserve some of the drip pan juices before making gravy. Just before serving I heat it up in a shallow fry pan and after carving dip the slices for them in it until no pink. Whatever juices are left get stirred into the gravy. They don't get dried out shoe leather but still no pink and I don't have to overcook the whole roast just to make them happy.

Ashen said:
No ketchup, but they will make noises about any trace of pink. I refuse to cook steak for them anymore but don't mind doing roast. I just reserve some of the drip pan juices before making gravy. Just before serving I heat it up in a shallow fry pan and after carving dip the slices for them in it until no pink. Whatever juices are left get stirred into the gravy. They don't get dried out shoe leather but still no pink and I don't have to overcook the whole roast just to make them happy.

I have the same issue, most that I cook for don't like any pink. A rib roast should be medium rare in my opinion. I made a nice prime rib medium rare and my wife still talks about that raw meat I made. With steaks I just say "the charcoal is still hot if it's not done enough"

I've done lots of rib roasts rubbing the outside with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Hot sear 450F-ish for 15-20 minutes then down to 300F-ish for however long depending on the size of the roast.  

NO KETCHUP!!!! Really, TB???? and you're still married?????!?!???   Well, Kudos to you Mate!  You gots more tolerance than most...

Drippings for au jus, horsey on the side, and it's usually a pretty epic meal.  I got thrown for a loop hearing about the butcher shop selling brined rib roasts.  I do some kick-a$$ corned beefs that are brined for at least a week, so my little brain starts wondering.......Brined Prime Rib?????  Maybe good?

Sounds like- not so much.  Stick with the classic recipe. 

Ashen said:
I use to work at a country club and that's the exact reason we used browning sauce on prime rib night.

Ashen said:

Mr.joe said:
I have the same issue, most that I cook for don't like any pink. A rib roast should be medium rare in my opinion. I made a nice prime rib medium rare and my wife still talks about that raw meat I made. With steaks I just say "the charcoal is still hot if it's not done enough"
One little thing that I noticed when Jay-T'ing this was a note about using the leave in metal roast thermometer. The metal of the thermometer conducts heat into the roast so the area around the tip will read hotter than the rest of the roast. In hindsight, I realize this has happened to me on a couple of occasions. Temp said...its ready...cut it and it wasnt.... I had to do the broth bath.

Next one, I'll use the meat thermometer as an approximation to know when it's getting close and the digital insta-read thermapen for final timing.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Never seen ketchup on PR. I have seen horseradish abuse tho. :lol: But hell, it's damn good.

I've never seen ketchup on PR either...but its TBs inlaws, whatcha gonna do?

We had some horseradish growing in the yard years ago and we did some up for PR. It was really good, loved the fresh taste, only complaint was texture. I couldn't get it as finely ground as the commercial stuff.

Ketchup on prime rib is only a 2 on the TB Weird-Shit-O-Meter! :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
Ketchup on prime rib is only a 2 on the TB Weird-Shit-O-Meter! :lol:
Yea, TB has a Wierd-Shit-O-Meter with a scale all it's own.
TB queso.jpg

:sick: ...that's just...just...so not right!!!!! but if anyone could make that fly, it would be TB!  :lol:

Back