• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Bringing my ghost chile plant indoors

So it's starting to drop down to the low 50s at night, and I want to bring my ghost chile plant indoors.  I've never brought a chile plant inside before and taken care of it over the winter, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping it alive?  Unfortunately I did not inherit my mother's green thumb.

The plant is still producing chiles like mad (it's got 7 on it right now and it's not a very big plant, and there are still flowers popping up) so I was thinking about taking it in and out until it gets too cold for it to remain outside during the day.  Is this ok to do?

One last thing - I was thinking about transplanting it into a larger pot.  Should I wait to do that next spring, or is it OK to do it now?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If you use the search feature, there are amazing threads around over-wintering (OW). You should read them, bringing bugs in will be your worst enemy. 

Thanks!  I'll do that.  

[SIZE=medium]I live in PA, here’s what I did: watered plant and let soil dry completely before watering again. Left by the window with very little light throughout the day; I’m sure more light wouldn’t hurt. The plant was fine all the way up till early June, when I transplanted it.  About two weeks after transplanting it, the Ghost Pepper plant went south. The upper most leaves curled up as if dehydrated, even though I was giving it water. Then it grew flower blossoms, but they all fell off after about a week. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I still have the plant, but it yielded not a single pepper this year. I was really disappointed. I don’t know if it was from the transplant or something from bringing it indoors. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Good luck.   [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I thought hardening was only for newly grown plants. I brought it out late may anyways, nights didn’t get too cold. That’s why I think it had something to do with the transplant. [/SIZE]

Back