• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Brisket Smoke time

I have a large flat that I will be smoking this weekend larger than the grates of the electric smoker box. I am considering smoking on my smoker/grill then transferring to the box after some shrinkage or if I cut the flat in half would the appr. cook time be less? I have a gauge but I want get an idea if I will be smoking 16-18 hrs or 8-9. It changes the sleep\drink patterns a bit. 
Any thoughts ? 
p.s. the point isn't attached 

Just my 2¢... I would NOT cut it in half! At the very most, I would just minimally trim the ends so it just fits in the smoker box and still allows smoke to travel around it. Cuts of meat like that (Brisket, Prime Rib etc.) are best larger. Bigger is better. lol Use the trimmings for stir fry or throw in an omelette. hahaha

No matter what you do.... P I C T U R E S !

P.S. I should post my disclaimer: I ain't no pro.

CAn you roll it and tie it? if its just the flat it probably has too much fat removed as is so i don't know if the position would matter as much. I think Scovie might have the best answer though

Cut it.  I've done it before in the same situation.  Won't hurt a brisket.  You'll get more even cooking to boot (though you'll wanna switch shelves from time to time).  I'd put the one on the top shelf directly on the rack and then put the 2nd piece in a pan underneath it - the top shelf will baste the one in the bottom pan as they cook.  You're still looking at 8-9 hrs though.  I'd also advise wrapping and putting it into a cooler if you can spare the time - in my experience that helps a whole lot with tenderness.

A good resource for smoking can be found here.  Pretty much the THP of smoking meats imo.  ;) 

The only cut on a brisket should be the point from the flat (if that), do not cut it down any more or it will dry out. Seems you said there is no point. So no more cutting. Or you will have two burnt ends.

Choose your fat side up or down (as preferred) and S-curve it into the smoker. 1/2 way through change the direction of the S (without flipping it over) just to even it out (surface and fat).  If it almost fits so it won't exactly make the S without slumping, just make a U and let the ends touch the sides. Done!

Now, where the brisket is going to touch the sides, layer up some foil and create a barrier so it is not cooking on a hot surface. Yes it is the same temp, but it can act like a frying pan.

Don't worry about the juices traveling too far, you can even hang a brisket. Wait, can you hang it?

Luckydog, it all depends on the temperature.  And FWIW, I agree with everyone that said don't cut it if you don't have to.  Cutting it will make it cook a little faster, but bigger is better and briskets dry out if you let them.  If its just a flat, low and slow at 225 F for about 6-7 hours should do it.  If you want to go hot and fast, 350-375 F for about 3-4 hours should do it.  

Thanks all - I just havent encountered a brisket this large before. They have all been +- 8lbs - I'll try it whole - nothing lost nothing gained. I think I am going to fire up my charcoal smoker first and get a good smoke on it and count on "shrinkage" for half the time before putting it in an electric smoker - Im using the electric smoker because of the winter temps and winds, in other words my beer will freeze, I have a couple of spares going on as well on the top racks the middle upper will be brisket. 

LUCKYDOG said:
Thanks all - I just havent encountered a brisket this large before. They have all been +- 8lbs -
You poor underserved fella :( 
Maybe it's a Texas "thang"!  We routinely have briskets 13 pound and up!  As mentioned above, cut as little as possible from one end only, the "flat".  You can broil the cut piece in the oven to brown it, then crock pot that sucker with 1/2 cup of water...makes for one hell of a roast.  Remember the trick to brisket is low and slow.  Get it looking "pretty" then seal it in foil with a little sop and let it sweat for a few hours or longer, or sop it frequently and leave it open on the grill...Hint...vegatable oils do not penetrate animal fat well, so any fat you trim off the brisket, chop up cook down in your sop ...good luck.

I recently cooked a large whole brisket on my 22.5" WSM and I placed an aluminum bowl under the center of the brisket. After a few hours, it had shrunk enough to remove the prop.

Happy Harry Habanero said:
You poor underserved fella :(
Maybe it's a Texas "thang"!  We routinely have briskets 13 pound and up!  As mentioned above, cut as little as possible from one end only, the "flat".  You can broil the cut piece in the oven to brown it, then crock pot that sucker with 1/2 cup of water...makes for one hell of a roast.  Remember the trick to brisket is low and slow.  Get it looking "pretty" then seal it in foil with a little sop and let it sweat for a few hours or longer, or sop it frequently and leave it open on the grill...Hint...vegatable oils do not penetrate animal fat well, so any fat you trim off the brisket, chop up cook down in your sop ...good luck.
Yeah yeah everything is bigger in Texass ;) - not so much in my stores this is from a buddy of mine that bought cow this year. My smoker is just 24" on an angle. Im still tempted to go in half
brisket_zpsc0b238f6.jpg

Looking good I did the whole thing shrinkage made it fit ill take pics ina little bit been on since 1115pm last night

225 degrees using mesquite chips - there is too much snow around my charcoal smoker/grill to get to. The electric is in my garage so wheel it out and plug it in. Above is a rack of spares sorry for large pics - using Photo bucket for first time and thats ice glaring from underneath

2014-02-23%2011.56.53_zpsrevtqliw.jpg

A friend also distills his own Hard Cider in Jack Daniels kegs this should make things go black later so pictures may become slanted and yellow ;)

2014-02-23%2012.05.40_zpsyztckf1a.jpg

LOL that wasnt on purpose either  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Sorry for the crappy and only pic of cut I was pretty rough by this time that cider is EVIL - was damn good though I made a spicy beer sauce to with it, baked beans and a layered salad - 

2014-02-23162736_zpsb0478ca7.jpg

I know I know I suck - but that is about how I was seeing things at the time so it looked A- mazing there will be more I will make up for the poor climax  - it was very good though - I love brisket - Shoot I was surprised I even took a picture 

Back