• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Brown Moruga Powder

I had the pleasure of trying some of pepperlover's Brown Moruga powder and thought I would share my opinion of it.

When first opening the padded envelope the powder came in, I was able to tell it was going to be hot.

When opening the baggy of powder, the smell and color reminded me of opening a container of unsweetened cocoa powder. The initial impression is replaced by the standard burning smell of a dried pod. The powder is a brownish red color in appearance but does not look burnt or dried at a high tempurature.

The powder tastes fruity with a slight bitter earthiness. I think it'd be great in a dry rub with brown sugar and other seasonings.

Now what most people care about the heat, it's there and has friends. As I said earlier the smell alone let's you know your in for a burn. Once in the mouth the powder is hot. I'm not sure if it is the hottest,that's what lab monkeys and numbers are for, but it's painful. The burn lasts for a good amount of time and was focused just in my mouth and lips. Once the burning is over it leaves sort of a cinnamon like after taste, but this could just be my taste buds telling me I'm a fool for sticking a teaspoon of powder in my mouth and swishing it around with saliva.

Overall it's a very good powder that packs a big punch in a small quantity and, unless your a sadist or trying to weaponize peppers to keep elephants away, should last a while.

Thank you Judy for this pepper and product.

She sent me Red Moruga powder but I'm NOT about to stick a teaspoon of it in my mouth!!!  :crazy:

It is great stuff though!

You stuck a WHOLE TEASPOON of brown moruga powder in your mouth :eek:

Judys brown morugas are sinister. I have tried her dried flake, which incidentally was the contributor to my first experience with a capsaicin induced endorphin high. I have had fresh pods, Or should I clarify, parts of fresh pods and I now am living off a home made powder from the remainder of the fresh pods she sent me, and yes, it will last for a good while depending on your tolerance.

But I get a different burn from the powder I have. In much smaller quantities than a teaspoon, I get the initial, immediate slight bite on the contact area of the tongue, but once the powder rehydrates I get a significant burn on the whole top on the tongue and as the saliva builds and works toward the back of the mouth or I attempt to swallow a little of the rehydrated powder. I get the brown moruga choke hold that is almost signature for the strain. But the thing that I guess I find distinctive of the pepper is that it doesn't have a hard burn in as much as it has a hard heat. In layman's terms. its not as much like swallowing a branding iron as it is trying to suck the heat out of a 500 degree oven through a garden hose.

In layman's terms. its not as much like swallowing a branding iron as it is trying to suck the heat out of a 500 degree oven through a garden hose.

Haha, well put.

Nice review!
I've also got a small (free!) sample from Judy some time ago and yes is HOT and tasty.
Tons of heat but i dont find it painful as other stuff probably because like you observed it lacks brutal throat burn.

Cya

Datil

I also received one of these gifts from Judy and the first time I used it, it immediately became my favorite powder. Have them on my grow list with hopes that I can come close this season because 1 baggie just isn't enough.

I bought an ounce of the brown moruga powder and have been playing with it.  I am not a hot pepper hard man and have only ever eaten about a 1/10 of a superhot and it destroys me... and I have done it many times with different peppers. I was thinking my review of this powder might be useful for mortals.

I weighted what I got before sampling and it was about 30g in the bag so pretty much an ounce exactly. Initially I tried a few grains at a time and got a sensation of heat confirming it was going to be hot in any appreciable (visible) amount. I then made a toasted cheese sandwich with what I thought was about 1/4 teaspoon sprinkled inside.  I ate it comfortably and got a nice warming glow, that was a few days ago.  I have just made 2 more toasted cheese sandwiches and measured carefully this time.  Each had exactly half a teaspoon sprinkled on them.  It is crazy, I was burning after the first one and stopped halfway though the second one to let my eyeballs sweat for a minute or two, wasn't sure I would finish it. In the context of the sandwich I got no appreciable flavor, just heat and maybe a slightly earthy element. I am now 15 mins in and finally comfortable, the afterglow is very evenly warm and nice (I find some hot peppers have what I can only describe as a a prickly heat). I have no idea how but I managed to get some on my nether regions. Review from there comfirms findings for tranditional sampling method above.

meinchoh said:
She sent me Red Moruga powder but I'm NOT about to stick a teaspoon of it in my mouth!!!  :crazy:

It is great stuff though!
lol that sounds crazy. maybe 1/100 of a tsp for me haha.

on the other hand in a pint of sauce I will use 3 tbs and have no problem with it that way but not straight without blending it with something else. 

Back