• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown Phenotype - Red 7-pot Lava

Grown by Omar Soto in Texas and sent to me, this brown/chocolate pod came from a plant of the Red 7-pot Lava. The 7-pot Lava was created by Judy at Pepperlover.com.

This thing really scared me this early in the season. When cut open it had a very strong, typically brown superhot pod smell, but it was the crazy number of oil droplets inside that really made me take notice. 

The initial flavor was also typically brown-superhot. Very earthy, a little metallic and very floral. On this case the floral nature wasn`t unpleasant at all. Surprisingly, for this type of pod, there was absolutely no bitterness at all. In general the flavor was quite neutral. Strong, but nothing out of balance.

The heat started up right away and it was hot, but then it started to really ramp up after I swallowed it. Initially, the heat blasted the back of my throat like napalm during The Ride of the Valkyries, then moved to the beachhead that was my tongue and burned all the flesh right off. Well, it felt like it. This was a very, very hot pod indeed. I have certainly eaten hotter pods, but not all that many. 

It was a great combination of flavor and extreme heat. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfsZ7l36DI&feature=youtu.be

I really like your reviews Nigel. You don't try to come across as a tough guy, or swell your chest up. You don't hide the effects either, definitely a straight up guy. Great review and I look forward to watching more of them in the future. Thank you for taking the time. 

PepperLover said:
the metallic flavor u found in the chocolate version was more like an over toasted/burned coffer after taste to me.
i dont even dare eat more than a pea size bite  
Yes, I know exactly what you mean, Judy. Nice description, I might have to steal it!!!
AaronTT said:
I really like your reviews Nigel. You don't try to come across as a tough guy, or swell your chest up. You don't hide the effects either, definitely a straight up guy. Great review and I look forward to watching more of them in the future. Thank you for taking the time. 
That`s very kind of you to say, thanks. 

Roguejim said:
Nigel, what are your Top 3 hottest pods, in no particular order?
Brown phenotype Douglah x Butch T F4, then about 10-12 peppers that are very similar. 

7-pot Brainstrain, Red phenotype of the Brown 7-pot, Brown 7-pot, TSMB, Chocolate/Brown Moruga, 7-pot Primo are just a few. It depends a lot on how they were grown, where they were grown etc etc etc. I`ve had TSMB that were not so hot and ones that were idiotically hot. 

HP22BH said:
Another great review Nigel.

I think that is the fastest I have ever seen you get an endorphin rush.
Yep, very fast and very intense endorphin rush. Only 2 or 3 other pods have ever made my ears ring!

Lol my fiancee was laying next to me while I watched the video on my phone last night and (she's never seen your reviews) was like "he keeps saying it's hot, we get it!"  I kept responding "he doesn't normally say that! this thing must be a beast!"

She then looked at the pod on the video and started to understand just how mean it could be.

PepperLover said:
the metallic flavor u found in the chocolate version was more like an over toasted/burned coffer after taste to me.
i dont even dare eat more than a pea size bite  
Judy, I was under the impression that you are the first to eat a whole pod of your making before anyone else gets one. You know, the I wont let you do anything I don't do first? :D

Back