• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

brown rotted flesh?

HotPeppas

Banned
My sweet peppers some of them have a brown spot that appears the outside flesh is rotted. Any ideas what causes this?

A photo would help confirm, but it sounds like bottom end rot. BER in peppers is caused either by low calcium, uneven moisture (usually from not mulching), or simply watering too much. Bells are prone to this, and I found that jalapenos can have it hit too. Be sure to pluck off the pepper as soon as you notice it.

Here they are. Why do ya gotta pick em? Safe to eat?

2012-07-15_21-14-42_231.jpg

Yup, that is definitely BER. You pick them off because the infected area is a great breeding ground for moulds, and you don't want that to reach the other peppers. I can't speak to whether it is safe to eat, because I just toss the infected ones.

Agree - BER (which stands for blossom-end rot, not bottom-end, to differentiate from the stem end.) A lot of us use CalMag by botanicare - increasing the calcium should prevent new pods from getting it.

Agree - BER (which stands for blossom-end rot, not bottom-end, to differentiate from the stem end.) A lot of us use CalMag by botanicare - increasing the calcium should prevent new pods from getting it.

Correct, I should have double checked before hitting the "post" tab.

Back