• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Browning along central leaf veins. Potential fungal problem?

I noticed within the past week or so that my Aji Limon plants have begun brown slightly along their central veins and it's mostly visible on the underside of the leaves.

My first plant was noticeably less healthy then the second, being a light green instead of a dark green and had developed this issue on most of its older leaves. I initially attributed this to the plant's weak health, but now even the otherwise healthy-looking green plant has begun to show the same symptoms.

A Hawaiian chili plant has also started to show similar problems, though in its case the whole stem on one of its new leaves seems to be rotting away.

On both the limon and hawaiian chili that there's unusually fuzzy spots along the central leaf veins on many of the leaves, which makes me suspect a fungal problem, especially because it's only occurring on the plants with wrinkled leaves that are more prone to holding moisture, while the smooth-leaved shishitos show no such symptoms.

Can't get pictures at the moment, but was wanting some thoughts on the matter.

Solution
I think I may have figured out what the actual actual thing that's going on here is, which is wind damage.

It regularly gets pretty blustery, and I had no idea that prolonged exposure to strong winds can dry out the leaves to the point of causing parts of them to die off even if the leaves aren't actually whipping around that much, particularly on plants with softer and/or textured leaves like baccatum chilis that can lose moisture more easily.

I noticed that the young leaves on the bottom of the greener Aji Limon that are exposed to the wind are curling their edges (Which has also been described as a potential symptom), while the older plant's are fine due to the edges of the pot shielding them. I also noticed that it's...
No pics, no diagnosis.  But fuzzy spots along the underside of the leaves can be a type of mealybug or whitefly.  Again, nothing more without pics...

My phone has very poor camera quality, so I'm not sure these pictures will even help.

I can say with certainty that this isn't a whitefly or mealybug problem because I've seen both in my yard already and this doesn't look like either to me.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190602182215998_COVER (1).jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190602183623263_COVER.jpg

The first picture is an Aji Limon leaf, which has developed a brown patch with tiny, hair-like filaments around it (Which I assume to be the fruiting body of some manner of mold/fungus). The leaves with more brown tend to have more of this stuff protruding from the central vein.

The second picture is a Hawaiian chili leaf I opted to prune because the stem had rotted to the point it wasn't able to hold itself up anymore. On this leaf, there's no visible browning (Presumably because the plant is healthier overall), but it is developing prominent patches of white fuzz along the central veins of many of the leaves and mostly at the joints where side veins meet the central vein. Was able to scrape the stuff off, and closer inspection didn't show signs of it being any manner of insect.

As far as I'm aware, the leaves of neither of these species have hair/fuzz as pronounced as what I've been seeing and it isn't present on all of the leaves either, so I'm convinced it doesn't belong there.

It's particularly concerning because it's seemingly starting to attack the new growth coming in on the top of both plants, which is creating brown spots even on the young leaves and straight up killed one of the new leaves on the hawaiian chili, causing it to wilt and shrivel up.

I'm assuming the best things to do would be to spray a fungicide of some sort and to avoid getting the plants wet at night where they won't be able to dry off quickly.

EDIT: After doing some more research, I'm inclined to think that this is indeed some form of anthracnose due to it predominantly forming around the central vein, and the fuzz is probably just part of the pepper and not anything abnormal. There are also several plants in the yard already suffering from fungal diseases so the likelyhood of the spores having spread to my peppers is rather high. I think I'll have to do some culling/treatment of the ornamental plants for the sake of protecting the peppers.

Fungal stuff is terrifying. I prefer to duke it out with the invertebrates. I had some issues in one bed last year; I'm really hoping it doesn't recur this year.

Good luck. I don't have much helpful advice, beyond you might well year the plants or and dispose of them far from other plants... And wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

The plants still seem relatively healthy, so hopefully just giving them some anti-fungal spray will stave off the problem enough to allow the plants to start producing (Assuming it's that and not some kind of viral problem instead).

They're just begun to put out flowers, though the older of the two plants dropped the first flower to show up. It's also start to exhibit some unusual change of color along the central vein:

IMG_20190603_144525.jpg

I'm assuming it has some kind of nutrient deficiency because its color isn't good as the younger plant. I'm hoping that once I repot it into a better quality soil that it might get some color back.

I think I may have figured out what the actual actual thing that's going on here is, which is wind damage.

It regularly gets pretty blustery, and I had no idea that prolonged exposure to strong winds can dry out the leaves to the point of causing parts of them to die off even if the leaves aren't actually whipping around that much, particularly on plants with softer and/or textured leaves like baccatum chilis that can lose moisture more easily.

I noticed that the young leaves on the bottom of the greener Aji Limon that are exposed to the wind are curling their edges (Which has also been described as a potential symptom), while the older plant's are fine due to the edges of the pot shielding them. I also noticed that it's mostly the leaves that have their undersides exposed to the direction the wind's blowing in that are suffering from the browning issue, as well as the ones higher on the plant.

I think my plants will be happier on the south side of the house where the winds don't hit (Though it also puts them closer to the tomato plants that are pest magnets...).

Solution
Back