• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Brussel Sprouts

Got a pack of starts from the local nursery I have them in the ground already and seems all is ok but was thinking is there anything special to do with them ? besides water(1/wk) and fertilizerthe every two weeks or so? Any advice for first timer?
THANKS,SMITTY

I'll be interested in how they'll grow in Phoenix. I think of them as a cool weather crop, and I don't have much luck with them in South Carolina. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. My father always produced a good crop in the cool English climate. Good luck with them!

Brussels sprouts are a slow-growing, long-bearing crop that needs cool weather. The ideal climate is the “fog belt” of the Pacific Northwest, but they will grow in just about any part of the country. Plant in early spring, or mid- to late summer for a crop that matures in the fall. The small heads mature best in cool and even in light frosty weather. Spring planting is also fine in cooler climates. Be aware that sprouts maturing in hot or dry weather will be flimsy and bitter. Brussels sprouts belong to the cole crop family (Brassica oleracea), which includes cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, kale, and kohlrabi.

• Raised beds are especially recommended for cold season vegetables, especially when seasons are changing and temps are not consistent.
  • Work fertilizer into soil a few days before planting or transplanting.
  • Plant transplant seedlings 12-24 inches apart.
  • If direct sowing seeds, plant ½ inch deep and 2-3 inches apart. Thin plants to 12-24 inches apart when they reach 6 inches tall.
  • Water well at time of planting/transplanting.Fertilize three weeks after transplanting.
  • Mulch to retain moisture and keep the soil temperature cool.
  • Do not cultivate, roots are shallow and susceptible to damage.

From what I have read they say to harvest brussel sprouts after the second frost, its when they are supposed to taste the best.

Your plants look a little too close unless you're going to transplant.  Like Brain Strain said, they really need to be about 2' apart.

Like broccoli, the plants grow pretty big and tall, and can be prone to aphids when the warmer weather comes.

It's good that you've planted them now as they'll have a good chance of growing in the cooler temps.

Back