• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bubbler hydro setup

im building a bubbler hydro set up. should the bubbler be ran all the time? if not should i use a timer and how long and what intervals should it be on? thanks for any help

runing a bubbler requires runing the O2 pump all the time. Otherwise the roots run out of oxygen. This ist like overwatering when planting in pots filled with earth.

Actually, you do not have to run the pump 24/7 - we lost electricity for nearly a week a couple of years ago and thanks to a neighbor who had a generator and let us run a feed from it for a few hours a day, the plants didn't show any harm at all. But given the low wattage of most pumps, I recommend turning it on and leaving it like that.

Mike

im used coir to start these seeds. will it work to contiue using it to grow hydroponicly? would crushed lava rock work? hydroton is hard to find in my area.

Hydrotron is readily available over the web. It is excellent stuff and it will prevent a lot of problems you will have with other media.

Straight coco is not appropriate in a DWC since it acts like a sponge and retains lots of moisture even in handwatering grow. Some people have used lava rock but I've read it doesn't run clean as hydroton. I use hydroton myself but would run straight perlite if I didn't have access to the clay rocks.

ok i found a hydro store close to my house. i will be ordering some hydroton. what would you suggest for nutrients?

Noshownate said:
the owner of my hydro store swears by flora nova.

FloraNova is great. If you get some make sure you shake the heck out of it each time you use it. MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom are basically the same stuff in dry form and are lower priced.

And yeah, hydroton is the way to go for DWC.

Back