• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Bucket watering questions

This is my first time growing in a (Home Depot 5 gallon) bucket and I have some questions about watering:

In my clay starter pots, I water until it runs out the bottom. Should I continue this practice when watering my Trinidad Moruga Scorpion in the bucket? I'm afraid I will overwater I do so.

Also, I already watered it once after the initial transplant. If I wait longer than usual, before watering next, will this benefit the plant, becuase the roots will have to fight their way downward to search for more moisture?

I just watered it until it ran out the bottom on all my buckets last year. as long as it's draining, you're good to go.

I am worried that I may have screwed up the drainage. I had 4 holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket for drainage. Then, after I put the soil in, I realized that I forgot to put rocks in the bottom to help with the drainage. There was no way that I was going to pour the soil out, then back in. I pushed my fist into the middle of the soil, making a hole to the bottom, and put the rocks there. Then, after I covered the middle hole, I noticed that the level of the soil had dropped considerably, as I inadvertently packed it down. I then added a lot more soil, in order to fill the bucket back to the top. The transplant is fine, as I see new growth, but I am worried that the packed soil is so hard, that water will not properly drain.

I used straight topsoil last year instead of decent garden soil, something I'm fixing this year, and it was about as compact as it gets. The water drained just fine. I've heard, and I'm going to try some this year, that if you drill the holes in the side an inch or two from the bottom, it drains well and it leaves a little reservoir to draw from. Just make sure the gravel comes up above the holes or dirt will come out with the water.

I used straight topsoil last year instead of decent garden soil, something I'm fixing this year, and it was about as compact as it gets. The water drained just fine. I've heard, and I'm going to try some this year, that if you drill the holes in the side an inch or two from the bottom, it drains well and it leaves a little reservoir to draw from. Just make sure the gravel comes up above the holes or dirt will come out with the water.

Very very wise.

The drainage system works. I was surprised at how much water it took before it started dripping out of the holes. I let it dry out for 4 days. It took 8 cups of water, before it started dripping out of the bottom. In true "ghetto grow" style, I have it sitting on the toilet, and will leave it there until it stops dripping! I couldn't think of a better system. Leaving it on the bathtub floor wasn't working, as there is no space between the holes and the surface of the tub. My only other option was to play weightlifter and hold it up for a while.

I use a sheet of newspaper instead of gravel. Works fine , much cheaper and mainly lighter than gravel. Get something like a plastic cat litter box. Put a couple pieces of scarp 2x4 cut to fit in there. Place the bucket on top the 2x4's and water. No more messing up the bathroom !

Peace,
P.Dreadie

This year I plan on grabbing a smaller drill bit when I make the new buckets. A local oldtimer reminded me water doesn't need much of a hole. I figure double the holes at half the size. hardly any dirt should come out.

Not a lot of dirt came out, but none at all would have been better!

How long will it takes for the roots to reach the bottom?

With making holes
Would punching holes in the bottom work just like using gravel? What I mean is punching holes would not removed the filing made from drilling so basically they would be punched up into the bucket, causing a small space for a reservoir of water?

Reason I ask is that i dont have a drill at the moment but do have a hammer and a screw driver LOL

With making holes
Would punching holes in the bottom work just like using gravel? What I mean is punching holes would not removed the filing made from drilling so basically they would be punched up into the bucket, causing a small space for a reservoir of water?

Reason I ask is that i dont have a drill at the moment but do have a hammer and a screw driver LOL

First year I took some decorative flower pots my wife had and punched through with a screwdriver. Whatever works. Icepick works as well.

I have (at the moment) 4 large kitty litter containers and 4 5 gal buckets and will be getting more this weekend I think. Need another 10 to be able to palnt all of my plants. Will be punching holes in the bottom of them before filling up. Didnt do that with 3 of the ones I have now. Luckly I have the other buckets I can move the dirt to once they get the holes in the bottom

I lucked out, I have a cafeteria where I work and they hook me up with some food grade buckets when they get some. I also hit up the local supermarket bakery and when they have them they give em to me. Ask the deli section for pickle buckets. They'll know what you're talking about and those are usually the same size as HD buckets..

A hot knife or steel whatever heated on the stove will melt holes of whatever size you like. I drill 3/4" holes and the soil stays in.

Back