• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

budding plants?

I'm wondering why my one month old plants [4 wax peppers and 3 tomatos] are budding. I just potted them up to one gallon pots and have them under 3 100w 5500k cfls in a grow box with a fan blowing. The pepper plants are about 4" tall, and I have already cut the buds off. They get about 15-16hrs of light a day, with temps about 80F, cooling to around 60F-65F at night. My thought is not enough light, but I dont know, any ideas?

By budding do you mean flowers? Peppers and Tomatos do not bud according to light levels, but every new node, which means they bud continuously throughout their lives regardless of light levels, hours or color.

Most people pinch all buds of young plants so they put more energy into growing vegetatively, and when the plant is large enough to hold a decent fruit load the pinching is usualy haulted and the plant is left alone to fruit.

Yes flowering, first year starting from seed indoors, thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the info

XRDAN said:
I'm wondering why my one month old plants [4 wax peppers and 3 tomatos] are budding. I just potted them up to one gallon pots and have them under 3 100w 5500k cfls in a grow box with a fan blowing. The pepper plants are about 4" tall, and I have already cut the buds off. They get about 15-16hrs of light a day, with temps about 80F, cooling to around 60F-65F at night. My thought is not enough light, but I dont know, any ideas?

I wouldn't say you were doing anything wrong; you must be doing it right to have plants so young display buds. :)

Back