• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

buds on tabasco and serrano plants are dying before they flower

They are turning yellow and brown. The same raised bed has other pepper plants that are flourishing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the death of the buds? Any help is greatly appreciated. Pics are below (I hope).

You did everything right except you used the URL to the page that displayed the pic and not the URL of the pic itself. (Right click and chose "Properties" on the image you want to post to get the URL.)

without knowing anything about the soil they are in I'd say its starting to look like your plants are over fertilized and burning out, but I could be wrong. what kinda of soil mix did you plant them in?

The plants look very young to me, there not pollinating yet. Let the plants grow a little more they know when to set fruit. Most of the first flowers are male only when its time, they will produce male, female and set fruit.

HawaiiAl said:
The plants look very young to me, there not pollinating yet. Let the plants grow a little more they know when to set fruit. Most of the first flowers are male only when its time, they will produce male, female and set fruit.

wow, had no idea?

HawaiiAl said:

I dont think thats his problem although he should be pinching the buds at this stage anyway, but he said the buds are dropping BEFORE they flower so they wouldnt pollinate anyway since there no flowers. I still think it is a fert issue because the buds are way to yellow. my serranos all were able to produce flowers at very young age and also set fruit until I started pinching them off.

HawaiiAl said:
Most of the first flowers are male only when its time, they will produce male, female and set fruit.

I don't quite understand that. Chile flowers have both male and female parts. Most often the problem I see is lack of fertile pollen production early on

Here is Willard's famous list

Flower drop probable causes:
1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low

^^^ +1 as soon as I opened this thread I had another tab opened looking for this. S/B a sticky - tis the time of year

I had the same thing happen before and it was too much nitrogen from cheap wal-mart potting mix. the plant went into mix green and healthy then started to yellow and the buds turned yellow just like yours , I dont know if you can still call it flower drop when the buds are falling off before it even flowers.. bud drop?
look at how yellow the buds are they arent making it to flowers so the whole flower/pollen thing is kinda irrelevant in this case because flowers/pollen have not even developed yet when they die.

Thanks everyone. The soil is about 5 parts Scott's Garden Soil, 2 parts vegetable compost and 1 part manure. I have added no fertilizer. The five jalapeno plants in the bed are doing very well except for one which has leaves that are yelllowing. It is carrying a single fruit that is about half way matured and is not otherwise budding. This raises another question which is how developed should the plant be before you quit pinching the buds and allow it to fruit?

does the Scott's Garden Soil say anything like "feeds up to 3 months" etc.. on it?
because Im sure since its a garden soil it contains some nutes/ferts and if its already high in nitrogen then the added compost and manure may push it over the top.
the reason the other plants are doing better maybe because not as much manure etc got mixed into that part of the bed and you may just have one area that has a larger concentration of nitrogen then other spots due to not being spread evenly.
when i get home from work I will post pics showing 2 plants in the same soil mix ones burning out from ferts and the other thriving.

I'm not certain, but I believe the Scott's bag did say that it feeds for some period of time. If this is the problem, is there anything I can do to neutralize the nitrogen? If not, I assume at some point this problem would go away naturally, right? Of the 10 causes listed by Potawie above, the nitrogen cause is the only one that currently makes sense.

I'd go with too much fertilizer too. You can try flushing plant with straight water but it probably won't flush out the time release. Maybe just pot up with some better unfertilized "soil"

Thanks for all of the help so far. I have "potted up" the affected plants, which ended up being five. I have one more question if anyone is still paying attention to this thread. Would it be effective to dilute the nitrogen content of the soil in the raised bed by pulling it out and mixing with a couple of bags of topsoil then refilling? Or, is there something better for that purpose that can be mixed in?

Back