• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bug ID

This isn't strictly pepper related, so I'll post here. I have a few beetles hanging around my garden I'm not familiar with. First two have been on my beans primarily, and something is obviously doing damage.

IMGP0489.jpg

This is the only one I've been able to get a picture of. The other is sort of the same color, but more oblong and has black spots on its back.

IMGP0474.jpg

This other guy I only noticed today. Morphologically similar to the ladybugs I'm used to, but the same can be said of several harmful beetles...

IMGP0484.jpg

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure the last one is a ladybug... I've been finding ladybug larva on my plants, and those are the only things resembling ladybugs I've seen in my garden.

It'd be nice to have a native ladybug population established. Supposedly we have huge problems in this area with the invasive ladybug species, and I wasn't really expecting to see any native bugs.

That "Lady Bug" you have looks a lot more like the invasive Asian types than the Natives. play with one and see if it bites you. The Asians bite.
If it is an Asian one, they do eat aphids and other bugs, but they also eat foliage. I've found some on my property out here in Az this year, and supposedly they are taking off all over the country right now.

Good luck with them. I'm fighting Potato beetles, leaf cutting wasps, and horn worms right now.

Looks like it might be a Pink Spotted Ladybug. At least, that's what I'm hoping. There are now several of them in my garden and even more of their larvae.

Coleomegilla_maculata.jpg

That shot looks ok. It's the really dark shiny red one's that are bigger than normal that actually freaking bite and do eat vegetation. I was holding one to show my wife how big it was and it bit the crap out of my arm. Maybe her Aunt flo was in town that day, but it surprised me.

Back