• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bug Spottin'

Could anyone identify this insect found on the tender new growth of some of my Emerald Isle Aubergines? I'm thinking they're aphids? My cameras not that good but they are hopefully clear enough for an identification.

Cheers

Matt

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

They are not aphids, aphids are small and white.

Aphids look like this, http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/aphids.htm

Hi Joshua, aphids can actually be a variety of colours, green, brown, black and even pink! I've got a few green aphids on my pepper plants and these black ones do look somewhat similar, except with wings and a slightly different body shape.
They certainly do look like aphids some aphids have wings and they come in many colors, look for ants when checking your plants, they will farm aphids even move them around at times, you can follow ant trails right to the food source.

They certainly do look like aphids some aphids have wings and they come in many colors, look for ants when checking your plants, they will farm aphids even move them around at times, you can follow ant trails right to the food source.

Damn, I was half hoping they'd be a more innocuous insect who were maybe just living on the leaves and not necessarily munching on the delicious sap! Looks like I'd better organise a good old fashioned aphid squashing!!!

Thanks for the help

Matt

without a closer shot of the suspects, I won't hazard a guess but will offer this bit of advice...

buy a jewelers loop, 10X and 20X magnification...this will allow you to see any insects on the plants...there are several pests that simply can not be seen without use of magnification...the jewelers loops are cheap and will give you some piece of mind...

https://www.google.com/#q=jewelers+loupe+10x+20X&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=-FfLT-OuNMTC2QWf1pXbCw&sqi=2&ved=0CNUBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8fc3a267521f95b1&biw=1536&bih=783

Red Spider mites are very hard to see on the plants since they are only about .5 mm long and I simply can not see them on the leaves...if you take a piece of white notebook paper, hold it next to the leaves that are suspect, brush your hand fairly quickly across the leaves towards the paper, you can collect most of what is on the leaves...then look at the paper....if you see any tiny red dots moving on the paper, you probably have red spider mites...this also works for thrips...I don't have an issue with aphid identification because I can see them...

without a closer shot of the suspects, I won't hazard a guess but will offer this bit of advice...

buy a jewelers loop, 10X and 20X magnification...this will allow you to see any insects on the plants...there are several pests that simply can not be seen without use of magnification...the jewelers loops are cheap and will give you some piece of mind...

https://www.google.c...iw=1536&bih=783

Red Spider mites are very hard to see on the plants since they are only about .5 mm long and I simply can not see them on the leaves...if you take a piece of white notebook paper, hold it next to the leaves that are suspect, brush your hand fairly quickly across the leaves towards the paper, you can collect most of what is on the leaves...then look at the paper....if you see any tiny red dots moving on the paper, you probably have red spider mites...this also works for thrips...I don't have an issue with aphid identification because I can see them...

I bought a 30X scope from Radio Shack years ago I spotted broad leaf mites with it for the first time the other day, they still looked tiny!

Back