• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

pests Bugs

This is my first time gardening, and I'm starting it off with an indoor winter growing project. I have 5 different types of peppers growing all under 4 weeks old so far.

Should I be worried about bugs even of they are inside my home? I'm just not sure what to expect as they get bigger.

You're fine as long as they stay inside.

The second they go outside, or any other plant comes inside, quarantine them like they've got ebolaHIVculosis. Nothing sucks worse than being lazy one day, thinking "ah, this one looks good, let's put it with the rest", then waking up the next day to find the aphids' thus far unseen population has skyrocketed to the point where they've hit the industrial revolution.

You're fine as long as they stay inside.

The second they go outside, or any other plant comes inside, quarantine them like they've got ebolaHIVculosis. Nothing sucks worse than being lazy one day, thinking "ah, this one looks good, let's put it with the rest", then waking up the next day to find the aphids' thus far unseen population has skyrocketed to the point where they've hit the industrial revolution.

Simpsons did it!

Solid advise.

This is my first time gardening, and I'm starting it off with an indoor winter growing project. I have 5 different types of peppers growing all under 4 weeks old so far.

Should I be worried about bugs even of they are inside my home? I'm just not sure what to expect as they get bigger.

What type of bugs are you talking about ?

What type of bugs are you talking about ?

Well any type of bug I have heard of people having that grow peppers, or other vegetables. I've heard of aphids, and spider mites, and I'm not sure what else there is since I'm just getting into gardening.

If you don't have pest issues after 4 weeks then you should be fine. Gnats are pretty common. One way to avoid them is to keep the seedlings on the moist side not completely drenched with water by "bottom watering" your trays or pots. The water will wick up the soil medium and by only giving the plant whats necessary and not over doing it the upper layer of soil will stay dry. If you have any leaf drop in the future, get rid of the dead leaves don't let them congregate on the top of the soil. Keep a magnifying glass handy to inspect the plants routinely. Check the bottom of the leaves for crawlers or eggs. Its better to be cautious then to be caught will the "plants" down. Most folks won't have any pest issues. You'll only read about them when they do. Avoid using composted material indoors and never bring the outdoor soil in. That's where 90% of the "bug" problems happen.
Aphids and white flies can also travel threw window screens and exhaust vents.
Keep researching through last years or previous seasons grows for info on indoor procedures. Have fun with the hobby.......good things will happen....such as "HotPepper Picking"

Broad mites. Ick. They're so tiny you need a jeweler's loupe to see them.

Really, it depends upon where you live. You're in New Hampshire, so have a lesser chance of having before-unseen stuff in your house than someone who lives in a tropical zone. But yes, little, tiny stuff you never had reason to notice before (or may not have been there because there was nothing to attract them, or were always there but they're too tiny to see) can show up in the form of plant damage. Broad mites suck the cell contents out of leaves, one little cell at a time. Go check on your plants and you see what looks like a hole somewhere in the middle of the leaf, but on very close examination you see the skeletal structure of the leaf remains where that "hole" is, and you probably have broad mites. Different ones seem to be attracted to different plants. They decimated my tomatillo seedlings, but completely left the pepper plants alone.

Back