• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Building a greenhouse!

I'm building a greenhouse that sits on top of my raised bed. I just started it but it will have roll-up sides on 3 sides for easy access and ventilation and a door on side shown. Hopefully this will extend my season a month in the fall and a month in the spring. It will also be great for hardening off seedlings, and I can fit the potted plants that I want to keep in there. It might be a nice place to hang out on a sunny winter day too! I will post some progress pics, but this is as far as I am right now.

greenhouse010.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

I forgot to mention it will be coming down after last frost in the spring and going back up before first frost, so I'm building it like a kit.

How did you get so lucky to find steel frames to fit your existing raised beds? You got the perfect set up going on there.

+1

I know with the cold I get a month at the end of season with my bamboo frame and 6mil plastic. My drier vent and a strict laundry at night schedule help. At the most I hit first snow and then the 6mil comes down because the snow gets heavy here. I know I have to vent some days because 50 out here with the sun can be 90 in there and humid. My hose mister also comes in handy to keep them watered. I like the metal frame work. I may use that idea next year for my newest bed out back that has no protection this year.

+1

I know with the cold I get a month at the end of season with my bamboo frame and 6mil plastic. My drier vent and a strict laundry at night schedule help. At the most I hit first snow and then the 6mil comes down because the snow gets heavy here. I know I have to vent some days because 50 out here with the sun can be 90 in there and humid. My hose mister also comes in handy to keep them watered. I like the metal frame work. I may use that idea next year for my newest bed out back that has no protection this year.

I like the drier idea! Yeah, the plastic might not make it through the winter, but I'm going to give it a try this year just so I don't have to do it again in the spring because I am lazy like that.

I just can't get over this setup. This is the coolest design I have ever seen to an already excellent chile garden. I tip my beer to you musky.
beer.gif

Nice work :cool:

Also I'd remove the cat before you cover it.

Thanks! Yeah, that fat cat loves to sit right there for some reason. At least it doesn't poop in there.

I just can't get over this setup. This is the coolest design I have ever seen to an already excellent chile garden. I tip my beer to you musky.
beer.gif

Thank you! That is very nice to hear! :beer:

top notch for sure,have you considered one of those louvered fans to help control temps?

Thanks. I don't know yet I guess. I've never had a greenhouse before. 3 sides will roll up so I was thinking that might be enough?

Thanks. I don't know yet I guess. I've never had a greenhouse before. 3 sides will roll up so I was thinking that might be enough?

ive never had a green house either lol.
but i would think a fan would give your greenhouse a good deal of autonomy would it not? im sure when temps get real hot it would not be nearly enough ventilation and you would have to roll the sides up anyway, but for just 80+ sunny days, i think a temperature controlled fan would allow you to keep from having to roll the sides up and down throughout the day?

but i know nothing about greenhouses!

im jealous of your wood working prowess btw, those beds look really great.

Thanks! I made them out of chain link fence top rail. Just made a jig and bent it how I wanted it.

I want to know about your Jig- I have seen a few online / ebay for sale. What did you make the jig out of and whould you mind posting a photo of it. Again, this is a very nice build. Very Clean.

Thanks
Martin

Back